PUBLIC INDOOR ENVIRONMENTS/A SOUND WALK March 14, 1973
1. MacMILLAN-BLOEDEL CONSERVATORY 4'00"
2. " " " 0'55"
3. CAR RADIO 3'15"
4. KERRISDALE ARENA 7'20"
5. EAST END SOUNDWALK: from Commercial St. to Charles St. 15'45"
6. EAST END SOUNDWALK: from Commercial St. to Charles St. 1'15"
REEL 59 COMMENTARY
1. Levels too loud, distortion throughout. But the bird sounds themselves do not distort. The macaw is quite grotesque. Ambience is dominated by air conditioning and water sounds. Not very interesting. Birds mostly in background, except at 3'00" loud call by macaw.
2. Another loud call by macaw (0'10").
3. Traveling in car with CBC AM. Harp music, car window is open, traffic swooshing by on wet pavement. Windshield wipers, static buzz. Schizophonia par excellence! Great take!
4. Kids skating in a large ice arena. Very reverberant space, lots of shouting and squeaking from kids. Music on loud speakers. There is some good sense of movement, the speed of the skaters as they zip past the microphones. Toward the end of this take, some of the curious ones ask what we are doing.
5/6. Purely anecdotal -- an acoustic postcard of recordist and friends strolling through the Italian part of town. Lots of traffic sound, occasionally much quieter sequences as recordist turns into a side street.
0'02" dog bark, distant traffic.
0'15" distant train whistle.
1'55" voices of recordist's friends.
5'45" shift whistle (?)
11'30" train whistle.
14'45" distant horns (car? train?).