RESTAURANT / G. REIFFEL BIRD SANCTUARY March 20, 1973
1. GREEK ISLANDS RESTAURANT 7'30"
2. BARNYARD IN LADNER 3'20"
3. BIRD SANCTUARY 2'50"
4. " " , geese 6'10"
5. " " " 0'35"
6. " " 3'05"
7. BIRD SANCTUARY, marsh ambience 7'00"
REEL 67 COMMENTARY
1. Very lively atmosphere, lively music and lots of talking. Opens with Greek song in the jukebox, accompanied with clapping.
1'20" song ends, followed by another (which shortens the beat of each half-verse by half a pulse).
5'00" third song begins.
6'10" the crockery begins to fly.
7'10" fourth song.
See also reel 63.
2. Very comical: great sheep, rooster and birds. Barnyard gossip.
3. Opens with gate opening, geese and other water birds in the background. Children's voices. Lots of wind on microphones.
*4. Goose talk. Further into the sanctuary a group of geese approach, clucking away. Quite funny! Nice water sounds, splashing.
1'30" jet overhead, Vancouver International Airport is not far off. Dense distant texture of songbirds in background.
3'30" the geese meander off. Goose talk starts up again towards end.
5. More geese, one goose in foreground.
6. Starling-type flock of birds in background. A delicate texture of dense birdsong -- distant, fluid. Heavy wind on microphones occasionally.
0'55" flock stops singing suddenly, starts up again a few seconds later.
7. By the tidal marsh at the extreme west edge of the sanctuary. A gurgling water trough and marsh birds, including marsh wren and red winged blackbird. Extremely peaceful. In fact, the recordists fell asleep during this sequence as it was recorded.
3'20" distant plane approaches.
4'15" plane peaks, birds shut-up.
Occasional wind on microphones throughout.