WEST VANCOUVER / PORT MOODY May 18, 1973
[4 false takes, 12"]
1. LIGHTHOUSE PARK 0154"
[false take, 1"]
2. LIGHTHOUSE PARK, forest ambience 2'50"
3. LIGHTHOUSE PARK, waves 12'50"
4. LIGHTHOUSE PARK, forest ambience 3'50"
5. TREADLE SEWING MACHINE 1'05"
6. OLD KNIFE SHARPENER 3'55"
7. RAIN, Port Moody 9'45"
[false take, 3"]
8. RAIN, Port Moody 7'00"
REEL 92 COMMENTARY
1. Driving up with car. Note the quiet after car has stopped.
2. One of the few remaining virgin coast forests in the Fraser Valley. Very quiet, few signs of life other than one or two birds, and the hum of a boat in distance.
3. Restless water sounds, waves in a rocky cove, good and clear. A constant drone from the city is underlying the water sounds.
9'15" seaplane overhead, clear drone.
4. Only a few good spots with bird song and drone from the city. Most of this is spoiled, microphone problems on left channel.
3'30" two planes overhead.
5. This is in a shoe repair shop. Note the humming freezers in the background.
0'55" talk about the machine,
6. This is in a butcher shop.
0'20" talk about the sharpener.
3'00" cash register.
7. Under a porch cover by waterfront, rain falling and ambient harbour activity in the distance. It comes over 1/2 mile of water. This probably has some influence on the diffused quality of the sound, and the spatial depth which it has. Contrasting with this is the closely heard raindrops in the foreground (and even more so in take 8). Some aircraft at beginning.
1'40" clacking noise is from two boys with sticks, ambling over the stones and clutter on the beach at low tide.
6'50" heavy drone of large propeller aircraft.
7'05" truck horn.
8. Closer to edge of porch, i.e., closer to raindrops on various surfaces: concrete, leaves, earth. Great ambience, it also seems louder.
6'00" some microphone problems on left channel.