FISH PACKING PLANT / QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK June 6, 1973
1. FISH PACKING PLANT, Steveston Building 5'45"
2. QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK, Conservatory 12'40"
3. QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK, Quarry Garden 2'40"
REEL 96 COMMENTARY
1. Short sequence, the recordists were trespassing, wandering through a plant without permission. (No information available about what the sounds relate to.) Moving inside.
2'00" very noisy just before moving back outside, radio in distance.
2'45" recordists get into trouble for not asking permission to record.
2. From approximately 1'00" to approximately 6'00" the recordists were standing a few feet from the entrance area with the cash register (between this and the conservatory space), picking up the slight schizophonic effect of the cash register in the exotic soundscape of birds, water and reverb. From approximately 6'00" on, the mics move through the conservatory area; however, there is not a very clear definition of movement here. The reverberation and water noise probably tend to even out some of the differences and changes you normally expect in a moving soundwalk. Walking toward conservatory at beginning of take, lots of wind noise.
1'10" recordist stops for a short drink.
1'45" move inside MacMillan Conservatory; birds, running water, reverberating space.
4'05" electric cash register,
5'35" electric cash register.
*6'45" walking across the bamboo bridge continuing through pathway of the place.
*7'15" lop-sided waterwheel.
8'15" change of ambience.
9'20" waterwheel again.
11'20" visitors asking the parrot to talk.
3. Moving outside for ambience shift.
4. Bad wind noise at beginning. Recordists walk down into this quarry, an acoustically very protected place. Queen Elizabeth Park is on a high rolling knoll of land, and so is surrounded by the ambient city roar. However, the roar is inaudible in this quarry garden, which is surrounded by rock walls that are 30 or 40 feet high. Notice the roar of traffic emerge as the microphones climb up out of the sunken gardens.
1'35" walking out, traffic noise appears.
2'05" seaplane overhead.