VANCOUVER DAT COLLECTION
VANCOUVER SOUNDSCAPE, JUNE, 1996
SIMON FRASER UNIVERSITY
1. library, 6th floor 5:00
2. library, 6th floor, walk toward ventilator 4:48
3. library stairwell 2:42
4. library computer room 4:30
5. library lobby 2:17
6. library, closer to turnstiles 1:00
7. mall walking west to ventilator 4:39
8. soundwalk through mall 5:48
9. food fair 4:20
10. Burnaby Mountain Park, totem poles 3:53
11. Burnaby Mountain trail, rainfall 7:35
BURNABY HERITAGE MUSEUM
12. Burnaby Heritage Museum, schoolhouse 11:20
13. schoolhouse cont. 4:00
14. Burnaby Heritage Museum, music shop 2:48
15. Burnaby Heritage Museum, log cabin 5:17
16. Burnaby Heritage Museum, blacksmith 15:30
17. Burnaby Heritage Museum, carousel 3:37
DEER LAKE PARK
18. Deer lake ambience 5:19
19. Deer Lake, heron 0:56
20. Deer Lake, heron 0:25
21. Metrotown Center Mall 4:06
BURNABY CENTRAL PARK
22. Central Park ambience 5:18
23. Central Park, near Skytrain 2:22
24. Central Park, Skytrain 1:46
25. Central Park, middle of park ambience 5:09
HUME PARK, NEW WESTMINSTER
26. Hume Park, Brunette River 5:25
DAT 12 COMMENTARY
SIMON FRASER UNIVERSITY
1. ID, elevator bell and general library ambience: pages flipping, ventilation, pencils dropping, plumbing (?). Some mic handling noise. 2:47, door closes in stairwell. Someone coughing at 3:53.
2. ID, footsteps of recordist, gradual increase of ventilation sound. Close-up of ventilator at 1:10. Tape ID at 1:32. Walk toward photocopiers at 1:47, hum of machines becomes more apparent at 2:45. 3:50, close-up of machine. Quiet again at 4:11. Tape ID at 4:24
3. Nice reverb. Hum of ventilation, door opening and closing with long reverb. Door opening one floor above, footsteps descending stairs with a nice decay.
4. ID, hum of machinery and ventilation, typing, man clearing throat. Computer sounds including beeps and turn-on sound. Some mic handling noise. 1:44, man clearing throat. Door opening. 3:31, elevator door opens and then closes, 3:46 closer to fast typist, tape ID at 4:20
5. ID, ambience in the lobby. Alarm of outgoing gates sounds. Interesting sound of turnstiles at entrance. Voices, computers beeping and printing documents. Elevator bells sound at 1:07. Footsteps, ripping of receipts. Tape ID at 2:17
6. Lobby ambience, closer to entrance. Good take of turnstiles at 2:45, child at 2:55
7. Voices with nice mall reverb. Ventilation in distance gradually coming into the foreground. Ringing ventilation, up close to ventilator at 1:12 (Eraserhead). Dripping water in background. Wet footsteps into west complex at 3:30. Interesting footsteps and voices, ID at 4:19.
8. Many voices, children, Muzak, hum of lights, machinery, cash registers, announcement at 1:11. Shoes squeaking on the mall floor. Generally a heavy, convoluted ambience.
9. Very loud, convoluted food fair ambience. Little definition. Trays banging, people chattering and machinery humming.
BURNABY MOUNTAIN PARK
10. ID, Squirrel, hum from distant machinery and traffic. Jet passes in distance, mic handling noise. A constant 'hiss' of light rain. Lawnmower starts at 1:50. Distant gunshot from rifle range at 3:34, ID at 3:48
11. Birds, nice rainfall, though not pristine. Bursts of droplets with wind, rain hitting leaves. Distant hum of traffic and machinery. Distant train horn at 2:24, 2:34. ID at 7:24
12. Seaforth schoolhouse, old building. School bell is rung (old brass hand bell). Move into classroom where male announcer gives a tour guide. A female announcer takes over at 3:10. A family enters quietly. (battery dies).
13. Continuation of above tour guide.
14. ID, walk into store (old building), deposit money into machine. Motors start up on a player piano which starts to play (piano roll). Piano stops at 2:31 (song unknown). ID at 2:38.
15. Two young tour guides introduce the log cabin and try to explain some of the objects within it. hand pump at :42. Plane overhead, lawnmower in background. Nice old dinner triangle rings at 4:51.
16. Bob (recordist) and Morgan (blacksmith) chat. Chain opens at 1:09. Hand crank bellows start at 4:17, very interesting sound. Pounding and tapping with hammer at 5:25, bellows again at 6:12. Intermittent adjustment of levels to compensate for loud hammering. Voices in background. 7:43, hot metal put into water. Bellows again at 7:53. 8:32, more hammering. 8:55, put into water again (nice sound). More of all the above (hammering, bellows, water). Bob talks at 10:35, bellows at 10:44. Crackling coal in oven. Explaining the process at 10:50. Interesting motorized hacksaw from the '20's at 14:44 cutting through rod of steel. 15:10, piece of rod falls off.
17. Music from the Wurlitzer band organ on the other side of the room. Levels being adjusted. 1:35 band organ stops. Bob visually identifies and describes the band organ. Voices in background.
DEER LAKE PARK
18. Birds, rush hour traffic in background. Very "unnatural" park ambience. Hawk (?), crows, water splash.
19. Very good take of Blue Heron call.
20. Heron overhead. Listen for wings flapping in the wind.
21. setting levels, ID, Muzak, voices, people closing doors/gates to stores. Footsteps, bustle, ID at 1:20. 2:11 closing announcement. Child's footsteps at 2:44. Into the Bay at 2:55. Much quieter ambience. Cash registers, hum of lights, Muzak from the mall. ID at 3:50.
CENTRAL PARK, BURNABY
22. ID, park ambience, distant traffic noise. Few birds. Skytrain passing in the distance. Sounds of branches cracking. Some mic noise. A few rain drops. 1:41, 2:28 Skytrain passes.
23. Exterior of Skytrain passing, birds and traffic in background.
24. More dynamic take of Skytrain passing. Bicycle pass at :40. Birds and traffic. Second Skytrain at :52, third at 1:13.
25. Less traffic noise, more bird calls, some wind in trees. Some mic handling noise and distant Skytrain.
26. Lots of traffic in background. Birds, water moving, some mic handling noise. Truck horn at 1:02, truck at 1:30. Loud jet overhead. Not a peaceful park!