A safety committee structure supports and guides safety programs at SFU. The structure includes:
- A Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC)
- Local Joint Health and Safety committees (LJHSC)
- Research-related safety committees (Radiation, Biosafety and Diving).
The Central University Health and Safety Committee ( CUHSC ) reports to the Chief Safety Officer and addresses safety policies and safety issues arising in public areas. It also promotes communication and information sharing among the various local joint health and safety committees.
Local Joint Health and Safety Committees (LJHSC ) report to the head of the department. They assist in monitoring the effectiveness of the departmental safety program, consider safety concerns raised by employees and students, make appropriate recommendations to department heads and promote safety communication to foster a safety-conscious culture.
Research-related Safety Committees report to the Vice-President, Research and address specific regulatory requirements that must be met to engage in research activity.
WorkSafeBC Inspection Reports
- February 5, 2018 - Inspection report and orders re: IAQ concerns in Chemistry resulting from SUB construction
- December 30, 2017 - Inspection report re: contractor death on campus and Follow-up inspection report
- November 28, 2017 - Follow-up inspection report acknowledging compliance with orders related to skylights
- November 8, 2017 - Follow-up inspection report re: Mechatronics Instructional and Research Machine Shop
- October 20, 2017 - Inspection report and orders re: work around skylights
- October 5, 2017 - Inspection report and follow-up report re: incident involving employee struck by vehicle
- May 26, 2017 - Follow-up Inspection report re: Mechatronics Instructional and Research Machine Shop (IRMS)
- March 22, 2017 - Inspection report re: Mechatronics Instructional and Resarch Machine Shop (IRMS)
- March 13, 2017 - Inspection report re: potential safety concerns on the SUB construction site
- Dec 28, 2016 - Follow-up inspection report re: lead exposure incident
- Dec 23, 2016 - Inspection report re: tile repair work in LDC
- Dec 03, 206 - Inspection report re: Contractor pressure washing incident
- November 24, 2016 Inspection report re: lead exposure incident
- August 19, 2016 - Inspection report re: radiation badge exposure during travel
- July 6, 2016 - Follow-up Inspection Report re: potential abestos exposure in SH
- June 27, 2016 - Follow-up Inspection Report #2 re: selection of worker reps to safety committees
- June 27, 2016 - Inspection Report re: temporary variance for multiple safety committee structure
- May 16, 2016 - Follow-up Inspection Report re: April 26th order
- April 26, 2016 - April 26 Inspection Report and Order re: potential asbestos exposure in SH
- January 15, 2016 - Jan.15 Inspection Report re: asbestos abatement & demolition in LRH
A General Safety Inspection Checklist, Laboratory Safety Inspection Checklist, Inspection Guidance Document and Inspection Summary Report template are provided here.
Safety Committee Member Guidance Document
A Guidance Document is available for safety committee members that outlines the mandate of safety committees, the roles and responsbilities of commitee members, communication between CUHSC and the LJHSCs, and how safety concerns/issues are raised from the LJHSCs to CUHSC.