A safety committee structure supports and guides safety programs at SFU. The structure includes:
- A Central University Health and Safety Committee (CUHSC)
- Local Joint Health and Safety committees (LJHSC)
- Research-related safety committees (Radiation, Biosafety and Diving).
The Central University Health and Safety Committee ( CUHSC ) reports to the Chief Safety Officer and addresses safety policies and safety issues arising in public areas. It also promotes communication and information sharing among the various local joint health and safety committees.
Local Joint Health and Safety Committees (LJHSC ) report to the head of the department. They assist in monitoring the effectiveness of the departmental safety program, consider safety concerns raised by employees and students, make appropriate recommendations to department heads and promote safety communication to foster a safety-conscious culture.
Research-related Safety Committees report to the Vice-President, Research and address specific regulatory requirements that must be met to engage in research activity.
WorkSafeBC Inspection Reports
- January 25, 2019 - Inspection report acknowledging receipt of an investigation report
- November 26, 2018 - Inspection report confirming compliance with asbestos disturbance incident in Facilities Services
- November 14, 2018 - Inspection report re: reporting of serious injuries
- October 15, 2018 - Inspection report and order re: asbestos disturbance in Facilities Services.
- October 15, 2018 - Follow-up inspection report for orders written re: high temperatures in Starbucks and Mackenzie Cafeteria.
- October 9, 2018 - Follow-up inspection report confirming comliance with the Fitness Centre Swimming Pool orders.
- September 25, 2018 - Follow-up inspection report confirming receipt of SFU's full incident investigation report related to the asbestos disturbance incident in August.
- September 7, 2018 - Inspection report and order re: high temperatures in Starbucks & Mackenzie Cafeteria
- August 21, 2018 - Inspection report re: disturbance of asbestos-containing window caulking
- March 16, 2018 - Follow-up inspection report confirming compliance with orders related to SUB construction
- March 1, 2018 - Inspection report and orders re: Fitness Centre Swimming Pool
- February 5, 2018 - Inspection report and orders re: IAQ concerns in Chemistry resulting from SUB construction
A General Safety Inspection Checklist, Laboratory Safety Inspection Checklist, Inspection Guidance Document and Inspection Summary Report template are provided here.
Safety Committee Member Guidance Document
A Guidance Document is available for safety committee members that outlines the mandate of safety committees, the roles and responsbilities of commitee members, communication between CUHSC and the LJHSCs, and how safety concerns/issues are raised from the LJHSCs to CUHSC.