Safe Walk Program
The Safe Walk Program was developed by Campus Security as a safety initiative. This service helps ensure your safety as you travel around campus.
The Safe Walk escort is provided by either a security officer or a student campus safety member. The Safe Walk personnel are equipped with portable radios and flashlights and are in direct communication with the Security Department Patrol Operations dispatcher.
The Safe Walk personnel are identified by:
- A uniform shirt or jacket bearing the insignia of the university or the contracted Security Company
- They carry a valid SFU Campus Security picture identification card
Who can use it?
Any member of the university community who wants to have an escort may call and request a Safe Walk.
Where is it?
The Safe Walk program is operated out of the Campus Security Patrol Operations centre, open 24 hours a day.
How can I request a Safe Walk?
A Safe Walk can be requested by calling Campus Security at 778.782.3100, or by using any of the direct dial telephones located at the Safe Walk stations. You can’t reserve a Safe Walk time; you must call when you actually need the escort.
Where can I get a Safe Walk to?
The Safe Walk Program is restricted to the boundaries of Simon Fraser University property.
- When requesting a Safe Walk, always give the dispatcher the exact location where you are and the destination desired
- After making the request for a Safe Walk, wait for the escort inside a building if possible. The escort will meet you at the location specified
- The person providing the Safe Walk will inform the Patrol Dispatcher when the escort begins and when it ends at the desired destination
- The Safe Walk Program is a free service provided by Campus Security initiated in an attempt to increase the community’s feelings of personal safety
Note: If you have any questions or comments about the Safe Walk program, contact the Manager-Patrol Operations / Personal Security Advisor at 778.782.8473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.