International Travel Safety Program
International travel as a part of your university education offers an incredible learning experience. SFU is committed to supporting the safety and wellbeing of our students, no matter where their education may take them. Faculty and staff members are also encouraged to use this free resource when planning their own SFU-related travel such as conferences, meetings and research trips.
If you are an SFU student who plans to travel outside of Canada for research, a conference, an exchange, an international work co-op, an athletic competition, an international case competition, a practicum or to study, please follow this link to the Getting Started page.
Register your Travel
In an emergency
In an emergency, call
While travelling, "Emergency” refers to situations involving one or more of the following:
- Critical injury, serious illness, or death
- Possible need for evacuation
- Other circumstances that would have a serious impact on an individual or the program, would attract media attention, and/or would require response resources beyond those available at SFU
Callers should provide the following information:
- Name and student/employee identification number
- Telephone number where they can be reached
- Particulars of the emergency
- Name of the activity sponsor
Events & Workshops
If you would like to speak to us about a custom private workshop for your group, please contact us at:
email@example.com or by phone: 778 782 3560.
1. What is the SFU International Travel Safety Program?
SFU's International Travel Safety Program is committed to supporting the safety and wellbeing of our students, no matter where their education may take them.
2. What's in it for me?
SFU's International Travel Safety Program offers:
- a centralized database, where travellers (students, staff and faculty) can register themselves, along with their emergency contacts and details of their travel
- support to students, staff and faculty in assessing, mitigating and responding to risks and critical incidents
- access to a 24/7 phone number in case of emergencies
- access to the services of International SOS
International SOS is not an insurance company. They are a travel assistance company. Even though you have free travel assistance through SFU's contract with International SOS, you are still responsible for ensuring you have have appropriate medical insurance based on your own needs.
4. What should I do if I don't understand something or need help with this process?
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 778.782.3560
Contact the Safety & Risk Services International Travel Safety team at email@example.com or 778.782.3560