Group Travel

If you are a participant travelling as part of an SFU group (e.g. Field School, etc.) then you must complete the steps below. Some of the steps will be completed by your Activity Leader. 

1. Register your travel

Register with SFU's International Travel Safety Database.

Register with Registration of Canadians Abroad.

2. Complete an Emergency Plan

This should include a list of emergency contacts (e.g. local emergency numbers, International SOS number and app, local consulate, etc.) and evacuation routes from your main locations.

3. Complete a Waiver/Assumption of Risk Form

Contact for the applicable form. If you will be under 19 years old on the first day of your travels, you should also complete the Parental Consent Form.

4. Attend a Pre-Departure Orientation

Complete all designated safety training and trip preparation sessions. This includes a pre-departure orientation offered either by your department, by International Student Services or through Safety and Risk Services. The person/department who is organizing/supervising/signing off on your trip may have other requirements.

As students, you will have varying levels of experience travelling to international destinations, and some of you may need more information, support, and pre-departure safety training than others. You are responsible for ensuring that these needs are addressed.

5. Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of your return to Canada and that you have all the necessary travel documents including visas

Ensure that you have the appropriate travel documents, including passport, visas, and any others that might be required to clear customs and immigration in the host country. It is strongly recommended that you also leave copies of these documents with your emergency contact(s). It is strongly recommended that you also consult with the host country’s consulate regarding any other requirements, and obtain the appropriate driver’s licence and permits (if applicable). 

6. Visit Your Doctor and/or a Travel Clinic

Ensure that all of your immunizations are up to date, and that you have all necessary prescriptions for your trip.

Immunization may be required for travel outside Canada depending on the person’s destination and intended length of stay, and whether or not his or her routine immunizations are up-to-date. It can take several weeks for a vaccine to protect against a disease; hence, travellers should see their family physician or visit a travel clinic at least two to three months before their trip. Travellers should keep their vaccination records in a safe and accessible place and carry copies when they travel. Travellers should also be aware that some common prescription medications which are legal in Canada  (such as birth control, cold medications and pain killers)can be illegal in other countries.

For more information, see the Health & Safety section.

7. Ensure that you have adequate health insurance and travel insurance

You must have comprehensive and sufficient insurance coverage appropriate to travel, study, and work abroad. Review your policy carefully, including the fine print, to ensure that you know what it covers and more importantly, what it does not cover.

8. Set up International SOS Email Alerts and download the app

Sign in to the membership portal at International SOS and sign up for their health and security email alerts for any countries you will be visiting. If travelling with a smartphone, you should also download the International SOS Assistance App.