Navigating Higher Education as a Student with a Disability
Date and Time:
March 1, 2019 from 5:00pm – 7:00pm
Halpern Centre 126 (SFU Burnaby Campus)
We strive to create as accessible and safe a space as possible for this event. Detailed accessibility information is included below. If you require additional accessibility information, please contact David Le, CAL Disability Services Officer, at 778-782-9724 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) The event is accessible by car and public transit. The nearest accessible parkade is the Central Parkade beneath Convocation Mall. Covered accessible parking spots are available in the parkade. Please note that the hourly parking rate at the Central Parkade is $3.25 per hour.
2) As there is construction throughout the university, please anticipate additional time being needed to navigate to the event space. On the day of the event, if you have trouble finding or navigating to the event space, please contact Campus Security at 778-782-7991 to request a Safewalk to the event.
3) On the day of the event, signage will be made to direct attendees from the SFU Transportation Centre (the first bus stop on campus) and Central Parkade (both locations by SFU Security Main Office) to Halpern Centre Room 126.
Public Transit Directions:
1) Get off at the SFU Transportation Centre (by SFU Security Main Office) and walk toward the SFU Security Main Office and the elevator will be on your right. Take the elevator up. In the elevator, press the "3" button. The elevator is wheelchair accessible, has raised numerals, a visual cue of the level, and a help button with braille.
2) After getting off on the 3rd level, go straight through the automatic doors. Continue walking past the Maggie Benston Centre (MBC) and take a left through Freedom Square (just before the AQ). Continue on the path and the Halpern Centre will be on your left with a ramp and a set of stairs leading down to large automatic wooden doors. Please note that the ramp does not have handrails.
3) If you prefer an alternate covered route, please proceed to the AQ and turn left past Menchies and continue down the hallway past the dining area. Once you arrive at the student study lounge turn left and take the automatic doors, which lead you to the stairs and ramps leading to Halpern Centre 126.
1) If you are planning on driving up to the Burnaby campus, the closest visitor parking is in the Central Parkade, which is underneath Convocation Mall. As you drive up Gaglardi way, please stay on the right side of the Campus Security Booth and turn right into the Central Parkade, which has accessible parking stalls. Please drive up to the top floor, park, and then pay for parking at the pay station located in the parkade.
2) Proceed through the automatic doors into the Maggie Benston Centre (MBC). Once inside the MBC building, please take the stairs or elevator up one floor (press “10” if using the elevator). The elevator in MBC has raised numerals, braille numbers, audio cues and visual cues. Walk north to exit the building (on the Renaissance coffee side).
3) Outside of MBC, make a right, and continue walking. Go left through Freedom Square (just before the AQ) and continue on the path to Halpern Centre. The building will be on your left with a ramp and a set of stairs leading down to large automatic wooden doors. Please note that the ramp does not have handrails.
4) If you prefer an alternate covered route, please proceed to the AQ and turn left past Menchies and continue down the hallway past the dining area. Once you arrive at the student study lounge turn left and take the automatic doors, which lead you to the stairs and ramps leading to Halpern Centre 126.
1) The event location has 2 gendered wheelchair accessible washrooms.
2) The closest accessible, single stall, gender inclusive washroom is located in the Academic Quadrangle next to Menchies. If you require additional directions, please contact David Le by email at email@example.com or by phone at 778-782-9724.
1) CART (Communication Access Real-time Translation) is confirmed for the event.
1) A limited number of ergonomic chairs will be available at the event.
2) There is a ramp leading to the front door of Halpern Centre.
3) A service animal station will be available at the event.
1) Please refrain from wearing scents or fragrances (no perfumes, scented soaps, scented lotions, etc.).
2) Please do not bring any oranges to the event.
3) Please do not bring any peanuts or tree nuts to the event.
1) Light refreshments will be provided including a vegetable platter, sliced fruit platter, vegetarian spring rolls, and vegetable pakoras. Coffee, tea, bottled juice and water will also be available.
2) Food will be labelled if they are vegetarian, vegan, and/or gluten-free. Please note that the MECS kitchen is not able to guarantee that their facilities are “nut-free” or “gluten-free” and, as a result, cannot guarantee the absence of cross contamination.
3) Bendable straws and lightweight cups will be available.
4) A staff member will be available to serve the refreshments.
Additional Accessibility Considerations:
1) During the event, a quiet room is available in Halpern Centre Room 114, which is across the hall from the event room.
2) If you have any questions or require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact David Le by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 778-782-9724.