Defer your admission

Have you been accepted into SFU but wish to defer your admission?

You may apply to defer your offer of admission for up to one full year and to any term within that year. For example, you have been admitted to the fall term, you may apply for a one-time deferral to spring, summer, or the following fall term.

Deferrals are approved for students who wish to take a gap year and for students with extenuating circumstances. Deferrals are not granted for students who plan on attending another post-secondary institution or who are not financially prepared to attend SFU. If you have been impacted by COVID-19, see the details below.

Deadlines for deferral requests:

  • December 15 for Spring applications
  • April 15 for Summer applications
  • August 1 for Fall applications

If your deferral request is approved you must pay the admission deposit which will be applied to your approved deferral term. Please note: The admission deposit is non-refundable.

Information for students impacted by COVID-19

Deferral requests for students impacted by COVID-19 could include significant financial hardship, an exception to approve a second deferral request, or other extenuating circumstances. If you are unsure if you qualify, please contact Student Recruitment and Admissions.

Information for deferring SFU Entrance Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries

Deferral requests for Entrance Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries will be considered on a case by case basis for students who request to defer their admission. Only certain Entrance Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries are possible to defer. Please contact for more information.

Information for international students

If you are an international student, you are responsible for maintaining valid status while in Canada and continuing to meet all conditions of your study permit.

If you have any questions or concerns about your study permit renewal or status, you should speak with an International Student Advisor/Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant through the International Services for Students (ISS) office as soon as possible.

Graduate Student Deferrals

You should make the request directly to your academic program. If the deferral is approved, the offer of admission may be modified.

You  may request to defer your admission term up to a maximum of one year.

Need help?

Contact us

  • Contact the go-to person who emailed you following your application, or
  • Phone 778.782.6930