History Extended Minor
This program consists of the lower division requirements for a major and the upper division requirements for a minor as shown below. Other criteria may be set by individual departments and programs. A student must have their program approved by the extended minor advisor.
To enter the program, students obtain credit for at least nine units in 100 and 200 division history courses.
The program requires 18 units in 100 and 200 division courses and 15 or 16 units in 300 and 400 division, with at least four units in each division.
Students in history programs have the option of taking concentrations to enhance their programs.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Degree Requirements
For all bachelor of arts (BA) programs, students complete 120 units, which includes
- at least 60 units that must be completed at Simon Fraser University
- at least 45 upper division units, of which at least 30 upper division units must be completed at Simon Fraser University
- at least 60 units (including 21 upper division units) in Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences courses
- satisfaction of the writing, quantitative, and breadth requirements
- an overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0, and minimum CGPA and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0 across all units attempted in each subject that is a major, a joint major, a minor, or an extended minor. FASS Departments may define specific requirements for their respective programs.
For students in other Faculties, please check your Faculty's overall degree requirements: https://www.sfu.ca/students/calendar/faculties-research.html
Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements
Students admitted to Simon Fraser University beginning in the fall 2006 term must meet writing, quantitative and breadth requirements as part of any degree program they may undertake. See Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements for university-wide information.
WQB Graduation Requirements
A grade of C- or better is required to earn W, Q or B credit
|W - Writing||
|Must include at least one upper division course, taken at Simon Fraser University within the student’s major subject|
|Q - Quantitative||
|Q courses may be lower or upper division|
|B - Breadth||
|Designated Breadth||Must be outside the student’s major subject, and may be lower or upper division
6 units Social Sciences: B-Soc
6 units Humanities: B-Hum
6 units Sciences: B-Sci
|Additional Breadth||6 units outside the student’s major subject (may or may not be B-designated courses, and will likely help fulfil individual degree program requirements)
Students choosing to complete a joint major, joint honours, double major, two extended minors, an extended minor and a minor, or two minors may satisfy the breadth requirements (designated or not designated) with courses completed in either one or both program areas.