Cover Letter Check List
Use this checklist to be sure employers know WHY you want the job, and that your strengths and experience are backed up with evidence
- Is your format - including letterhead, font style and size -consistent with your resume and easy to read?
- Are there any paragraphs that are too long?
- Is it visually appealing?
- Is there enough "white space" around the text?
- Have you identified strengths and attributes that set you apart from other candidates? If you’re having trouble consider asking friends, family members or past supervisors
- Does the letter clearly express WHY you want this job or why they should hire you?
- Does it highlight what you can contribute?
- Does it match the core values and skill set that the employer wants?
- Does the letter use an appropriate tone or writing style for that particular employer?
- Are there any places where you can say the same thing using fewer words?
- Is your letter free of spelling and grammatical errors?
- Have you asked someone to proofread your letter?