Employment and Volunteer Options

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a number that the Canadian government requires for taxation purposes and without one, you can not get paid. A SIN is required only if you earn income in Canada (eg. on-campus employment).  This number enables your employer to make the necessary government deductions.

You must provide your SIN to your employer within three days of starting work.

You must apply for a SIN in person at a Service Canada office.  For details of how to apply, review the "Social Insurance Number" handout. 

Important: Your SIN will expire at the same time as your immigration document. When you renew your study permit, remember to renew your SIN if eligible.

Note: A valid SIN alone does not automatically make you eligible to work on or off campus. You must still meet the eligibility requirements as per our Working On or Off Campus handout (including a work permit if applicable) in order to legally work, even if you already have a valid SIN.

Employment and Volunteer Options