Immigration Documents

In-Person Exchange Students - Spring 2022

This website contains general information and resources related to policies, procedures, and application processes. Please see below the updates pertaining to the Spring 2022 semester.

Based on IRCC’s recently-updated guidelines for short-term studies, if you will come to SFU for one term (less than 6 months) you are not required to have a study permit to legally study in Canada. However, under the current travel restrictions you may require a valid study permit or study permit approval letter to be allowed to enter Canada.

If you will come to SFU for a one-term exchange, you must either:

  • Qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller (click here to see if you qualify) and hold a valid travel document (temporary resident visa or eTA) to enter Canada as a visitor, or
  • Hold a valid study permit or study permit approval and a valid travel document (temporary resident visa or eTA - issued to you upon approval of your study permit application)

The decision on whether you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller will be made upon your arrival at the port of entry to Canada. For this reason we recommend that you apply for a study permit if possible.

If you will come to SFU for a two-term exchange, you must apply and be approved for a study permit before you travel. If you require a temporary resident visa or eTA, this will be issued when your study permit is approved outside Canada.

Note that travel restrictions and entry requirements are subject to change without notice. For the most up-to-date information on travelling to Canada, visit the Government of Canada website.

For the latest updates and specific information on COVID-19 including impacts on immigration applications (e.g. study permits, work permits, visas), travel restrictions, work eligibility, and medical insurance, please refer to the:


Travel to Canada: Visa Considerations

If you plan to visit or stop over in another country en route to Canada

You should check with that country’s Embassy/Consulate to find out which documents you and your family will need. Make sure you apply well in advance! 

Planning to transit through the United States? 

The U.S. has suspended its policy of allowing travellers to pass through U.S. airports in transit to foreign destinations without a visa if they would otherwise require a visa to enter the U.S. This change has no effect upon Canadian citizens nor upon those who qualify to enter the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program. Before you book your flight to Canada, you should ensure that you have the proper documents. Check with the United States Embassy or Consulate closest to you.