International student fee policies
International students to Permanent Resident status
If an international student becomes a Permanent Resident within the term he/she is enrolled in, domestic tuition fees will be assessed for that term.
Please note: Permanent Resident status is attained as of the "Became a Permanent Resident on" date, indicated on the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" document or Permanent Resident Card.
International students eligible for Domestic Fees
An international student is a student who is studying at SFU under a student visa. International students who fall within one of the following categories are eligible to have their tuition assessed as domestic tuition fees.
- A student is in Canada as a live-in caregiver with a valid work permit.
- A student is in Canada to carry out official duties as a diplomatic or consular officer; or is a dependent or spouse of any such diplomat or consular officer.
- A student is in Canada, who has been determined under the Immigration and Refugee Act to be a Convention Refugee and can confirm this.
- A student is in Canada under an international exchange, scholarship, or fellowship agreement where there has been joint approval by the receiving institution.
- A student is in Canada with a full-time long term work permit (at least one year or longer, and excluding work authorization obtained on foreign student status) or is a dependant or a spouse of an individual who is in Canada with a full-time long term work permit (at least one year or longer, and excluding work authorization obtained on foreign student status).
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations defines "dependent child”, in respect of a parent, meaning a child who
- has one of the following relationships with the parent, namely,
- is the biological child of the parent, if the child has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner of the parent, or
- is the adopted child of the parent; and
- is in one of the following situations of dependency, namely,
- is less than 19 years of age and is not a spouse or common-law partner, or
- is 19 years of age or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 19 and is unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition.
All international students will be assessed international fees. Upon receipt of valid documentation (for example, valid work permit indicating length, diplomatic or consular documentation), the student will then be eligible to have their tuition adjusted to the domestic rate.