Life in Vancouver Guide
Created in collaboration with student staff, volunteers, and International Services for Students staff - this course was created to introduce students to life in Vancouver, British Columbia, and Canada.
The course is designed to provide an overview of Vancouver, its culture and sights, as well as provide an opportunity to ask questions of current students! The course is moderated by the Global Community Peer Educators who are senior SFU students happy to chat about adjusting to SFU and life in Vancouver.
Whether you are in Vancouver or Canada, or abroad in your home country - this is your chance to learn more about what this vibrant city has to offer. Split up into eight interactive modules, the course provides information on living in Vancouver with choose-your-own-adventure learning.
Modules include general information, interactive videos, and optional discussion activities for meeting other students.
Module topics include:
- Welcome to Vancouver: brief overview of Vancouver and its diverse neighbourhoods
- Community Values: overview of four key Canadian values
- Interacting with Vancouverites: Vancouver social customs
- Speaking like a Vancouverite: Vancouver slang and communication styles
- Meeting New People and Getting Involved: tips and resources for getting involved at SFU and in Vancouver both virtually and in-person
- Food and Eating Out: includes local guides to eating, groceries, and tipping
- Sports and Outdoor Culture: a look into Vancouver outdoor culture and sports activities students can get involved in
- Healthy Relationships: guide to healthy relationships
- Plus many additional resources
Register for the Spring course here.
For any questions regarding this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org