The Global Connections Program is here to help new students from international pathways adjust to life in Canada and make the best out of their time at SFU.
We encourage all returning domestic and international undergraduate students, who are willing to commit to helping other students to apply as a Community Leader with the Global Connections Program. You can commit for one term and extend for more terms. To see the specific qualifications please view the position description below.
- Foster an intercultural community: A Community Leader will help introduce new students to the SFU campus and life in the Greater Vancouver Area, while also creating a safe and welcoming space for intercultrual expression.
- Plan and Facilitate virtual group mentorship events: Community Leaders will work as a team to plan and facilitate online events and socials
- Provide Mentorship and be a source of information: A Community Leader will be a primary contact person and provide personalize support for the matched new student(s), via online platforms, to provide information, support and guidance. A Community Leader is also someone who will be available to discuss any concerns and issues that arise, and be able to refer the student to appropriate services on campus as necessary.
- Make a genuine commitment: A Community Leader will take his/her/their role and responsibilities seriously.
- Gain skills in mentorship, leadership, intercultural communication, team work, event planning, and time management
- Contribute to intercultural experience and gain exposure to various cultures
- Build inclusive global community at SFU by supporting other students, as well as knowledge sharing, skills, and time
- Meet likeminded volunteers, cultivate diverse friendships, and participate in fun events on and off campus
- Receive training on various topic from professional staff and develop new skills
- Gain a reference letter and recognition on SFU’s official Co-Curricular Record (CCR) upon fulfillment of all responsibilities
- Get free access to Passport to Leadership ($95)