International Student Award
The experience of living in another country provides a tremendous opportunity to learn about oneself and one’s culture, and to develop an understanding of and appreciation for other cultures. The key to achieving intercultural understanding is to intentionally and mindfully engage with diverse communities, in a spirit of openness, respect, and curiosity.
Purpose: The purpose of this award is to provide financial support for an international undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University who has contributed to intercultural understanding and/or demonstrated a commitment to intercultural engagement.
Value: 1 award, valued at a minimum of $1000, will be granted annually to an international undergraduate SFU student.
Application Deadline: TBA
Eligibility: To be eligible, students must:
- Be an international student (on a valid Canadian study permit)
- Be enrolled in any undergraduate degree program at SFU
- Be enrolled in a minimum of nine units of standard graded courses in the term of eligibility
- Be in good academic standing and have a minimum CGPA of 2.00 in the term of the award
- Have contributed to intercultural understanding and/or demonstrated a commitment to intercultural engagement
How to Apply:
Applicants must answer three questions with written statements (or alternative choice of media, e.g. photo, video) regarding their contributions to intercultural understanding and/or commitment to intercultural engagement. The answers must be supported with one letter of reference to verify the information.
All policies and regulations regarding SFU financial aid and awards apply. Late applications will not be considered.
Selection: The award will be granted to one applicant who meets the following criteria:
- Eligibility requirements
- Evaluation of student’s application
- Evaluation of activities and involvement that demonstrate student's commitment to intercultural engagement and/or contribution to intercultural understanding
- Submission of a letter of reference verifying the intercultural engagement / understanding of the student
The award will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee.
- Fill out this application form and submit it to the attention of the Director of International Services for Students (ISS), electronically (email@example.com) or hand-delivered to the ISS office (MBC 1200, Burnaby campus).
- Ask your referee to send the reference letter to the attention of the Director of International Services for Students (ISS), electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) or hand-delivered/mailed to the ISS office (MBC 1200, Burnaby campus).
If you have questions about this award, please contact email@example.com