ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS: STUDYING AND WORKING IN CANADA
July 4th, 2023
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently announced a new temporary public policy which allows eligible foreign workers to study without a study permit. Please visit the IRCC webpage: Public policy allowing some work permit holders to study without a study permit for more information.
Requirement and Definitions
As an international student holding a study permit, you are required to actively pursue studies. According to IRCC, this means that you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program.
To be considered enrolled at SFU, you must be enrolled in a minimum of 1 unit for credit in a given term (excluding audit courses).
To be considered actively pursuing studies as required by IRCC, you may be enrolled in a full-time or occasionally a part-time unit/credit load.
Each institution determines the minimal course load required for a student to be considered full time.
Full-time enrollment is one of the requirements to work on or off campus (see IRCC website). It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet IRCC’s eligibility requirements to work on or off campus.
SFU students are considered full time for immigration purposes in a given term if they are:
Undergraduate Students (including post-baccalaureate programs)
- enrolled in a minimum of 9 units in the Spring, Summer and Fall term
Graduate Students in one of the following categories
- Graduate students enrolled in per term fee programs
- Graduate students enrolled in a thesis, project, capstone course or field exams
- Graduate students enrolled in 6 or more units per term in per unit fee programs
OR any one of the following:
- Undergraduate and Graduate students enrolled in a full time Formal Exchange Program (“FEP”) or Field School (outbound exchange and field school), or
- Undergraduate and Graduate students enrolled in a full-time co-operative education placement (“Co-op”), approved internship or practicum as per program requirements, or
- Undergraduate students enrolled in a total minimum of 9 units as part of the Dual Degree partnerships between SFU and Langara, Douglas and Kwantlen or
- Graduate students enrolled full time under the Western Deans Agreement in any given term, or
- Visiting International Graduate Research Students ( see more information) enrolled in “Grad 800”, or
- Visiting International Undergraduate Research Students (see more information) enrolled in "UG 400", or
- Students for whom the Centre for Accessible Learning has approved full-time equivalency, despite their carrying a reduced load