Indigenous Student Cultural House
Please note that the Fall 2017 Residence and Housing application for for the Living-Learning Communities is now closed as we are tentatively full.
Canadian Indigenous students who want to connect with other Indigenous students and build community through peer support, mentorship and leadership development opportunities can apply to live in this community. Students will participate in cultural and educational programming and engagement opportunities across campus and in the local community guided by SFU’s Indigenous Student Centre and a local cultural advisory committee.
- Eligibility: All Canadian Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) undergraduate students attending SFU
- Additional Cost: No additional cost.
- Program Length: September 2017 – April 2018
- Explore your history, culture and identity with your peers
- Connect into SFU Indigenous Student Centre programs and support network
- Build community for Indigenous students in residence and across campus
- Develop leadership and peer mentorship skills
How You Benefit
Students who live in a living-learning community have a unique opportunity to live and learn with like-minded students and have access to programs specifically designed for their community. Students who live in LLCs also:
- Feel they made a smoother transition to university, academically and socially
- Have higher levels of academic self-confidence
- Are more likely to successfully engage in other projects like honours theses, study abroad opportunities, and research or capstone projects
- Are more likely to become student leaders and mentors
(National Study of Living-Learning Programs, 2007)