All of residence is a learning community. Within this community is also the option to consider applying to one of the specific Living-Learning Communities (LLC) grouped around a particular focus with additional support and programming. LLCs connect students academically and socially while creating a space for continued learning, personal growth, and strong connections with other students, staff, and faculty outside of the classroom.
Housing Details for SFU's Living-Learning Communities
Please note that all of our Living-Learning Communities are gender inclusive (co-ed) and are currently scheduled to be located in McTaggart-Cowan Hall for 2019-2020 .*
*The location of the Indigenous Student Cultural House for 2019-2020 is currently being determined. A final decision will be communicated to all applicants by February 1, 2019.
How You Benefit
Students who participate in living-learning communities are more likely to report the following:
- Feel they had an easier transition into university life
- Feel a higher sense of community and belonging in Residence
- Have higher levels of academic self-confidence
- More likely to successfully engage in academic projects (such as honours), study abroad opportunities, and research/capstone projects
- More likely to become student leaders and mentors
(National Study of Living-Learning Programs, 2007; Spanierman, Soble, Mayfield, Neville, Aber, Khuri, & De La Rosa, 2013).
How to Apply
Apply for one of SFU’s Living-Learning Communities (LLC) when completing your housing application. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire explaining your interest in becoming a part of that specific LLC. You must have a completed housing application (fully filled out and application fee paid) in order to be considered for a LLC.
- All completed LLC applications will be reviewed starting in late February and will continue until the LLCs are full.
- If you apply and are accepted to a LLC, your housing offer will be for this LLC. If you receive a LLC housing offer and wish to live elsewhere in Residence (including living on a specialty floor), you will need to decline your LLC Housing offer and will then be placed on the Residence and Housing wait list at this time.
- As LLC space is limited, you will still be considered for a space in housing outside of your LLC preference. This will be based on the date of your completed housing application (including your application fee).
This academically focused community is designed for students who:
- Are studying in the Beedie Undergraduate Business (BBA) program
- Want to connect to other students, staff and faculty for academic support
- Are excited to build a friendly and cooperative community together
This fun, dynamic community is designed for students who are excited to:
- Build authentic relationships across cultures
- Broaden their perspectives and networks
- Engage in issues facing our world
This community is designed for Canadian Indigenous students who want to:
- Connect with other Indigenous students
- Engage with and share their own Indigenous heritage and knowledge
- Participate in cultural and educational opportunities guided by SFU’s Indigenous Student Centre
This meaningful, engaging community is designed for students who:
- Want to develop their leadership skills
- Learn more about social justice and the non-profit sector
- Have a passion for social issues and community engagement