- Housing options
- North Towers
- East/West Towers
- Shell House
- McTaggart-Cowan Hall
- The Townhouses
- Hamilton Hall
- Charles Chang Innovation Centre
- Family Housing
- Living Learning Communities
- Off-Campus Housing
- Residence Tours
- Housing Comparison
- Moving in
- Community hub
- Maintenance and services
- Contracts and handbooks
- Important dates and announcements
- Meal Plan
- Move out
- Room switch
- Room stay
- New residence buildings
- Contact us
- Guest Accommodations
- COVID-19 Information
Living In residence during COVID-19
SFU Residence and Housing community guidelines
SFU Residence and Housing continues to support the health and safety of the residence community, through ongoing safety planning and using the available layers of protection to help keep the community safe.
Masks are no longer required to be worn in indoor spaces across SFU campuses, including within the residence community. The SFU community including residences continues to encourage the use of masks but it is not required.
For your protection, non-medical masks such as a properly fitting three-layer mask that cover your mouth and nose are recommended. Non-medical masks are proven to protect others from the spread of the virus. Remember that everyone has different comfort levels. Please be mindful of your fellow residents and community members during this time.
Community Standards and Violations
Temporary community standard(s) continue to be in place and apply to all residences, outdoor residence spaces, and the Dining Commons.
Alleged violations of any community standard result in follow up from the Residence Life Team. If you are found responsible for violating community standards, particularly those that put the health and safety of our entire community at risk, potential sanction(s)/outcome(s) can be found in the Residence Handbook.
Temporary community standard(s) will be updated based on the Public Health Officer recommendations. Updates will always be communicated to you via your SFU email. It is the student’s responsibility to read your emails and be aware of any changes and updates.
IF YOU'RE NOT FEELING WELL
If you are feeling sick, please take the following steps to keep yourself and the community safe:
- Stay home. Self-isolate in your residence room.
- Leave only to get tested for COVID-19
- Use the B.C. COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool to see if you need to be tested for COVID-19.
- Precautions are recommended for anyone with cold, flu or COVID-19-like symptoms, even mild ones
- Avoid being around others and continue to wear a non-medical mask such as properly fitting three-layer mask that covers your mouth and nose. Learn more about masks.
SFU Residence and Housing protocols
Residence and Housing buildings
Cleaning of all shared/public spaces continues to be one of Residence and Housing’s top priorities, with the use of appropriate products to disinfect surfaces and kill viruses. There has been increased focus on high-touch surfaces such as door handles. In addition, electrostatic sanitizing sprayers are utilized in shared washrooms.
- All staff entering Residence buildings are supplied with appropriate personal safety equipment (gloves, masks and sanitizing wipes)
- Working with Campus Public Safety and our partners in Student Affairs in support of the residence community
- Enhanced cleaning of the residence halls in high touch areas (e.g. shared bathrooms and kitchens, elevators, building and stairwell door handles, etc.)
- Working with SFU Campus Facilities and our cleaning services contractor to utilize electrostatic spray machine technology to sanitize common washrooms
- Providing supports and resources to support students who need to self-isolate / quarantine
- Only urgent and necessary maintenance activities are still being undertaken
- Plexiglass installed in Front Office
- On-going physical distancing between staff and students who come to the main office and limiting the number of people in areas
- Online chat function during limited periods. Visit the Contact Us page for more details
- Computer station for student use is not available at this time
- Transition to paperless processes. We are not accepting any paper form submissions (everything is digital) handed in and ID checking is done from a distance using social distancing protocols
Residence and Housing Offices
- Payment processing terminals are sanitized before and after each use
- Sanitizing wipes, disinfecting liquid, gloves, masks and visors are available for staff to use at the Front Desk
- No contact service to ensure minimal possibility of virus transfer
SFU Residence and Housing services
Dining Commons has implemented a number of changes due to changes in B.C. Provincial Health guidelines surrounding COVID-19. Social distancing and hand washing helps to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Please note due to COVID-19 what Dining Services is able to offer for their Meal Plan (food/options/service) has been reduced. There will be no refunds on the Meal Plan and we appreciate what the Dining Commons has been able to do to remain open to serve students during this time.