SFU Residence and Housing Construction Update
Looking for the latest construction updates at SFU Residence and Housing? Check this page often to read more about impacts and progress. Please note: exact dates and additional updates will be posted as project details and work schedules are confirmed.
Residence is Expanding!
A new residence building of 482 beds is expected to open for Fall 2020. This period of construction as well as the ongoing renovation and maintenance to our current buildings will help us continue to provide living learning environments that are safe, attractive, well maintained, comfortable, and welcoming.
Due to various construction activities around the Residence area, there are a number of construction zones that will impact pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
- Please be cautious and aware around these construction zones
- Watch for hazards and obey signage and/or instructions from flag persons
- Do NOT enter any closed areas
Temporary Power Outage at Residence Towers and Dining Hall
Thursday February 12th, from 1:00am to 5:00am
In order to complete the temporary electrical power service to the construction site south of the towers. SFU Facilities will be required to shut off all power to the three Residence Towers and dining hall at this time.
The Residence and Housing Office will remain open during the power outage
We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this work may cause and wish to thank you for your cooperation
Temporary Power Outage at Lower Townhouses (Penticton, Qualicum, Quesnel and Squamish)
Thursday February 7, for approximately one hour between 12:30pm and 2:00pm
SFU facilities will need to shut off all power to the lower townhouse block in order to perform maintenance repairs on the generator. Electrical power should be avalible in other areas of Residence and the rest of campus.
We appologize in advance for any inconvienence this work may cause and wish to thank you again for your cooperation
Update to Phase one of construction of new residence buildings
Thursday, January 24th, 2019 between 7am and 5pm
Between the hours of 7am to 5pm the delivery of a crane to the active construction zone east of Hamilton Hall will arrive. During this time we ask that you please be aware of the current re-direct signs regarding pathways and road closures, and comply with directions given by traffic control personel. These re-directs include:
- Thursday, January 31 or Friday February 1: Estimated date of the concrete pour for the crane base foundation for the West building
- Wednesday, February 6: Scheduled date for the delivery and erection of the crane at the West building. Intermittent closures of Residence Lane. During this time, Residence Lane will be closed to all vehicle traffic. Emergency Vehicle access to McTaggart Cowan Hall, Shell House loading dock and the West end of the Gymnasium will be accommodated by escorted alternate routes. Please be aware of the re-direct signs regarding closures of pathways and roads, and comply with directions given by traffic control personnel
Ongoing, Barbra Rae House Ground Floor
On the evening of Sunday, January 13th, a sprinkler head malfunctioned in the elevator shaft in Barbara Rae caused minor flooding to the ground floor, laundry room, and fire escape of the building. Repairs are currently underway on the building. Work will include
- Elevator one has been repaired, work on elevator two is now underway
- Repairs to the walls in the lobby, laundry room, and fire exit stairwell
- The Laundry room will also remain out of service during this time for repairs - earliest date of reopening: Friday February 22nd
The completion date for the repairs to the elevator is unknown. As soon as a final date is announced we will follow up with another email. In the meantime, we ask that you continue to use the stairwell to get to your floor.
Updated February 1st, 2019
Upgrades to Towers Common Washrooms
December 2018 to February 2020
This work will be staged in groups of four to eight washrooms, ensuring that at least one washroom on an occupied floor remains fully functional at all times. Work will include:
- New counters, new hand-washing sinks and faucets
- New mirrors, with new lighting mounted on the wall in the spaces between the mirrors
- New partitions for the toilet stalls and shower stalls for improved privacy
- Existing lighting upgraded to LED
|Work to be done||New counters, sinks, faucets, mirrors, lighting, toilet stall partitions and shower stall partitions|
|Time frame||December 2018 to Februrary 2020|
|Expected noise and disruption||
Residents living in Towers will have at least 1 fully functional bathroom per floor at all times.
Hours of work: 8:00am to 5:00pm on weekdays
For more information, see the architect's presentation
Future Residence Building Construction
November 26, 2018 until Fall 2020
|Work to be done||
Construction of Two New Residence Buildings
|Where||Empty lot east of Hamilton Hall and South of the Towers|
|Time frame||Starting November 26. Approx. 2-years to completion|
|Hours of Work||(in compliance with the Burnaby Noise or Sound Abatement Bylaw 1979):|
Between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on weekdays (Monday to Friday). Workers will typically finish work by 4:00 pm each day.
Between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Saturdays (this will occur only on rare occasions).
Due to the scale and schedule of the project, construction activities will continue without any interruptions for exam periods or move-in/move-out periods.
|Expected noise and disruption||While work is in progress, you can expect to hear varying amounts of noise. Pedestrian and vehicle routes will be disrupted in various ways at various times.|
(in the early stages of the project):
Replacement of the existing metal fencing with a more substantial metal fence.
Setting up pedestrian control barricades, signage and other safety features.
Setting up Construction Site Support Services (site office trailers, electrical services, water services and erosion and siltation control systems).
Bulk excavation and shoring (duration: approximately two to three months).
The first of two construction cranes will be erected in January, 2019.
|Safety||For your own safety, please watch for and comply with all barricades, signage and verbal or written instructions related to this and any other construction projects.|
Towers Exterior Repair Work - Beginning October 5, 2018
OCTOBER 5, 2018, 8:00am-5:00pm UNTIL SPRING 2020
The work is part of a project that will restore and re-seal the exterior of all three towers (SBH, BRH & PJH). The first phase of the project includes only the walls up to the top of the second floor. Beginning October 5, 2018, workers will erect scaffolding to access the east-facing walls of the second floor of SBH. The scaffolding will be covered with a material to keep the rain off the walls. Once the scaffolding is in place, the work will include various activities such as:
- grinding concrete
- pressure washing
- applying polyurethane coatings to the ledges
- applying concrete sealer to the vertical surfaces
- installing metal flashings
- applying caulking
In order to maintain building security and to prevent dust and fumes from entering your room, residents who's room is in proximity of the scaffolding are advised to keep their window closed and latched whenever they are not in their room and whenever work is in progress nearby.
|Work to be done||
restore and re-seal the exterior of all three towers (SBH, BRH & PJH)
|Time frame||Beginning Oct 5, Mon-Fri (except holidays) 9am-5pm|
|Expected noise and disruption||dust and fumes that may enter room|
Update: Townhouses Exterior Repair and Repainting Project
SEPTEMBER 22, 2018 and onwards
An update about the work that will occur on exterior of five townhouse buildings (KIM, PEN, QUA, QUE & SQU) between September 22, 2018 and winter break. Normal hours of work are Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (although they typically finish at 4:00 pm) and Saturdays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Saturday work will be limited to:
- Replacement of the columns on the front porches. This will occasionally include drilling into the existing concrete, but will otherwise be relatively unobtrusive.
- Painting the exterior of the buildings where this work has not yet been completed.
|Work to be done||exterior painting, gutter replacement work, replacement of the columns on the front porches|
|Time frame||September 22 to winter break, Monday to Friday (8:00am-6:00pm) and Saturdays (9:00am-5:00pm)|
|Expected noise and disruption||occasional drilling into existing concrete|
Townhouses – Building Enclosure Rehabilitation
Summer 2018 - Spring 2020
- Various repairs and upgrades to the exterior of the buildings, concluding with a complete repaint
- New rainwater gutters and downspouts
- The project will be completed over two years
|Work to be done||upgrade buildings exterior, new rain gutters & downspouts|
|Time frame||Summer 2018 - Spring 2020|
|Expected noise and disruption||Those in townhouses during the time of repairs|
New Residence Buildings
2018-2020: PHASE 1
Construction of the two new towers (one facing SBH, one facing BRH) on the old Louis Riel site is expected to start in the Fall of 2018. Design work has been completed and greenspace landscaping will also begin in preparation for these new residences including:
- A paved, accessible pathway running from the front entrance of Shell House fown to MCH
- Pathway lighting
- Drainage improvements
- Planting (mix of lawn, grasses, groundcover and shrubs)
- Gathering spaces with amenities (tables, benches, basketball hoops)
|Work to be done||New pathway, lighting, greenspace landscaping and planting, gathering spaces, basketball hoops|
|Time frame||Fall 2018 - 2020|
|Expected noise and disruption||Residents in the buildings nearby the old Louis Riel building site may be affected by noise during construction hours (SBH, BRH, PJH, MCH, HAM, SHR)|