Mail-Room has Moved
March 19, 2018:
The Mail room moved on March 19, 2018 to its new location in Residence and Housing Front Office (located under the Dining Hall) to increase and expand the level of service to all residents. Please come with your SFU ID and email confirmation for pick up.
The SFU Residence and Housing Universal WiFi project with Shaw
March 15, 2018: Shaw WiFi Upgrade - Temporary Outage
There will be a temporary WiFi network outage on Thursday, March 15th, 2018 between 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM in order to perform a network upgrade. The network upgrade will be performed remotely; Shaw technicians will not be on campus. We appreciate your continued patience while we work to install the Shaw universal WiFi network.
February 15, 2018: Shaw Universal WiFi now live in Shadbolt!
Residence and Housing is happy to announce that the new Shaw Universal WiFi is now live starting with Shadbolt House. Residents of Shadbolt can now login into the new Shaw WiFi with the provided login information.
The other buildings are not far behind and will soon be transferred over so be on the look out for more updates to come.
January 8 - March 31, 2018:
Shaw will be entering private residences rooms and/or townhouse units throughout the term to install Universal WiFi across residence and housing. Check your SFU email regularly for updates. Please note that Shaw may require to enter rooms on multiple occassions in order to install the universal WiFi. An email notification will be sent to you prior to your assigned date.
- Do not use a 3rd party router; this will cause a drop in your WiFi connection. Please use the WiFi modem that was installed in your room by a Shaw technician
- Use the username and password that is found on the modem, do not rename your wireless name or change the password, this will cause your devise to lose the WiFi connection
- If your modem has power, but your devise cannot connect to WiFi try a factory reset. The instructions are attached
- If you are still experiencing WiFi issues, please submit a Maintenance Request through the SFU Housing Portal. Include the modem’s serial number (Passphrase) and a brief description explaining your WiFi issues.
Laundry Card Machine Update
November 30, 2017:
You will have two (2) convenient options to load your laundry card. Option 1: Debit/Credit Terminal and Option 2: Pinmate Machine.
Pedestrian Routes for the Remainder of this Week:
October 3, 2017:
- Due to continuing construction activities related to the District Heating Lines Repair project, the pedestrian route immediately north of Shell House will be closed from noon on Tuesday, October 3 until further notice (approximately two to three weeks). The covered walkway that runs along the south side of the West Parkade will remain open.
- For residents of the Townhouses, Hamilton Hall and the Towers, the pedestrian routes will be as follows (see also the attached map):
- To the Dining Hall and the Main Campus: use the breezeway under the Towers and go up the stairs (or elevator) to the Dining Hall entrance. Carry on eastward to the main campus (note the barrier-free route on the north side of the Parkade if you need to avoid the stairs at the southwest corner of the Parkade).
- To the Mail Room in Shell House: use the breezeway under the Towers, then just before the Residence office, turn right and use the fire lane on the south side of the Dining Hall to access the front entrance of Shell House.
- CLICK HERE TO SEE THE MAP IN A PDF VERSION
WiFi is Coming to Residence
August 18, 2017:
- Our residence community spoke and we listened. We are excited to announce that starting this week, Residence and Housing will be moving to an upgraded wifi system.
What does this mean for you? There are two phases and two important time frames for you to take note of:
Between now and Move-In: SHAW is installing wireless modems and routers in each room. That means that by the time the Fall Term starts, each resident will have their own personal wireless router and modem as part of their residence package at no additional cost to you. Now you will be able to stream your favourite shows online wirelessly whenever you want.
Additionally, if you are interested in purchasing cable for your own room, SHAW will be on campus during our Move-In Vendor Fair where you can sign up for SHAW cable. You will be able to decide which cable package works within your budget.
During the Fall Term: Starting August 31st and throughout the Fall Term, SHAW will be bringing in their team to begin upgrading each room and building to the newer and better wifi system. What this means is that along with a Residence and Housing staff member, we will need to access your room in order to make the changes. The residence team will be contacting you via your SFU email to give you updates and to let you know what we are doing.
What’s so great about the second phase of the upgrade?
The second phase is even better than the first one. During the second phase, SHAW installers will be removing all modems and routers from each room and instead, you will be part of an entire building access point system. Access points will be placed in every room and in each building. This means that no matter where you are in your building, you will always have access to the internet and wifi, anytime, anywhere.
What do you need to do or bring?
All you need is your laptop, mobile device or tablet. You will not require any other hardware or cables.
- Spring 2018 Applications Open on August 1st: All SFU and FIC students who are interested in applying for housing for the Spring 2018 term can now apply. IMPORTANT: If you are currently on the waitlist and wish to stay on the waitlist for a possible Fall 2017 housing offer, DO NOT submit an application for Spring 2018. At the end of September, all waitlisted students will be given the option of forwarding their application to Spring 2018 at no extra charge.
- July 14, 2017: Fall 2017 Term (September - December 2017) Undergaduate Applications are now Closed:
Applications for the Fall 2017 term are now closed due to being tentatively full. For those still seeking housing for the Fall 2017 term (September – December 2017), we strongly encourage you to continue looking outside of residence for the Fall 2017 term. Below are a few options for you. For more information including some options, Click Here.
- July 14, 2017: Fall 2017 Term (September - December 2017) CCIC Graduate Applications are still Open:
If you are a Graduate student seeking residence at our downtown Vancouver residence at the Charles Change Innovation Centre (CCIC), applications are still open.
- Update on Undergraduate Waitlist Numbers: Students who have a completed housing application and are eligible for a housing offer are given a waitlist number that you can see on the housing portal. The undergrad waitlist up until June 1, 2017 was comprised of one list that included all students. It did NOT take into account your building eligibility. We have since split our undergrad waitlists into two so that your waitlist number is now tied to your building eligibility. Townhouse eligible applications are on one list. Towers and Traditional Residences (Shell House & McTaggart-Cowan) eligible applicants are on another. By doing this, your waitlist number should now better reflect your position in our offer queue. Please note that housing offers will be made as rooms are made available.
- Increased Residence Construction Activity: Residents should be aware that the SFU Residence area is currently undergoing increased construction activity, which has resulted in increased traffic, intermittent roadway and pathway closures and construction noise. Please refer to the Residence Construction Updates page to view a map of the construction zones and updates on the various projects currently underway.