Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring to Residence?

See our 'Moving In' and 'What To Bring' pages for move-in tips and a list of things you should bring, recommend you bring and what not bring when you move-in to Residence.


What can’t I bring to Residence/what do I have to leave at home?

These are items that students MUST NOT BRING to Residence:

  • Pets
  • Full-size refrigerator
  • Firearms, weapons
  • Fireworks
  • Hot plates
  • BBQ
  • Microwave*
  • Any appliance with exposed heating coil
  • Candles or incense
  • Halogen lamps (i.e. floor lamps)
  • Coil lighting
  • Waterbed

*Students in Shell House, McTaggart-Cowan Hall, the towers and the townhouses are not permitted to cook in their rooms as it presents a serious fire hazard. Students will have access to a microwave in the lounge and/or kitchen. Kitchen appliances other than those provided are not permitted in the lounge (i.e. coffee maker, kettle, toaster, etc)


If I Can’t Move-In During my Assigned Move-In Date, What Do I Do?

The important thing is that you communicate with us.  

Arriving early?   Some students have academic, athletic, or other commitments that require an early arrival.  Let us know if you need to arrive before the move-in date by sending us the Contract Extension Form and we will do our best based on our availability. 

Arriving late? If you experience an unexpected situation such as a flight delay or delays with border immigration please call us at 778-782-4201 during normal business hours and/or email us at and let us know what’s happening and when you expect to arrive on campus.

There is a deadline to move-in:  If you do not move-in by the end of the first day of the SFU term, we will assume you are not arriving and your room will be offered to the next person on the wait list. Your room will be cancelled and you will lose your $700 non-refundable confirmation fee.  Arrivals after the deadline can be approved with prepayment of your Residence fees. Please email if you have any concerns about arriving late.

How Do I ‘Check-In’ To My New Residence Room?

Before you can move-in to your new home, you’ll need to check-in at the Residence & Housing Office: 

  1. You need to be physically present to check-in.  We are unable to give your keys to anyone but you.
  2. You will need to provide photo I.D. (ie. SFU / FIC student ID, passport, driver's license, etc…)

What are the standard bed sizes?

Mattresses in Shell House, McTaggart-Cowan Hall and the Townhouses are 74” long, accommodating the regular size twin-fitted bed sheets.

Mattresses in the Towers and Hamilton Hall are 78” long (can be extended to 88”) and require extra-long twin bed sheets. Many retailers stock extra-long linens.

Can I bring my own furniture or bed?

Sorry, you are not permitted to bring your own furniture or bed. All residence rooms are furnished.

How do I receive mail?

Please refer to the Mail Room page for details of mail delivery to the SFU Burnaby and Vancouver campuses.

You will need to present picture I.D. in order to pick up any letter mail or parcels/packages.

Is there phone service in my room?

As most residents now use cell phones, the rooms do not include phone service. There are landlines in the lounges for emergency purposes to connect with campus security or dial 911.

Is Internet available and what equipment do I need to access the Internet?

  • Yes. Each room is equipped with a wireless router and modem for you to use as part of your residence package. See here for more details.
  • High speed wifi internet service is included in the fees for all buildings.
  • A computer or notebook running Microsoft Windows or Apple OS is needed.
  • To access your individual wifi connection simply look at the back of your modem or router and look for the wifi username and password code

How long will it take me to get to class?

Most classes on the Burnaby Campus are located within 5-15 minutes walking time from Residence. Walking to FIC may take up to 20 minutes. If you are taking classes in Surrey or Downtown Vancouver, your commute will be under an hour if you take transit from the Burnaby campus. The Vancouver Graduate Residence building is located about 5 minutes walking distance from Harbour Centre and the Segal Centre. It is directly across from SFU Woodwards.

Can I have pets?

No. Pets are strictly forbidden. 

Can I smoke in Residence?

No. Simon Fraser University is a non-smoking campus, therefore, no smoking is allowed in any of the buildings, including in the Residences. You may smoke outside the buildings as long as you are a minimum of 10m from any building.