COVID Assistance and Remote Engagement Support (CARES)
COVID has created many challenges, and if you need to self-isolate, our new CARES Program is here to help support you. Offered in partnership with Fraser International College, CARES is available for students who need to self-isolate.
On June 21, 2021: the Government of Canada announced Easing of quarantine measures for fully vaccinated travellers to take effect July 5, 2021 as well as extension of travel restrictions and suspension of flights from India
At this time, we recommend that you:
- Read the Government of Canada announcement of easing of quarantine measures and continue to monitor the announcements webpage for further announcements.
- Read and monitor the information on COVID-19 measures, updates, and guidance issued by Transport Canada (Government of Canada website).
- Contact your airline for the most up to date travel information.
- Reach out to us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns!
In planning for self-isolation, you need to consider accommodation, food, and other resources. The CARES program will provide you with a safe and supportive environment, meet necessary Public Health self-isolation guidelines, and help you to feel part of and connected to our community.
The CARES Program is available to registered SFU and FIC students (undergraduate or graduate), who are enrolled in classes, and are:
- arriving in Canada, or
- traveling and are now returning, or
- in need of support with a place to self-isolate due to your living situation, and/or need help with a self-isolation plan.
As part of the CARES Program, if you’re seeking support with accommodation or accommodation and meals during self-isolation, we have customizable CARES Package options available. Individual support and check-ins offered through the CARES Program is available for students who need to self-isolate and have already made their own accommodation and meal plans.
All SFU and FIC students registering for their first CARES Package qualify for a $500 subsidy if conditions are met.
If a student requires subsequent self-isolation periods, they can register for another CARES Package and apply for the $500 subsidy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If the subsidy request is declined, students will still be encouraged to register for a CARES Package at an unsubsidized rate.
Students in financial need can also apply for financial support through the CARES emergency assistance funding.
The CARES Program offers a variety of choices to create your individualized quarantine experience.
Choose from the following available options:
- Accommodation - Choose your hotel/room
- Length of Stay - Book depending on your self-isolation needs
- Food - Choose from meal add-ons for your stay
You must register for a CARES Package at least 10 days prior to travelling.
SFU Residence students who register for a CARES Package will also be eligible to have their residence fees prorated for their isolation period.
Emergency assistance funding is meant to provide some additional support to those students with demonstrated financial need and who have accessed a CARES Package. It is not intended to support future term costs (such as living expenses, tuition and mandatory fees, and book costs for the spring/summer term, etc.).
SFU and Fraser Internatinal College students in financial need who sign up for a CARES Package can also apply for additional CARES emergency assistance funding.
To be considered for this funding, you must:
- participate in one of the CARES Packages administered through SFU Student Services;
- be a registered SFU or FIC student (undergraduate or graduate) enrolled in full or part-time classes for your degree program at the time of application;
- have exhausted all other resources, and have demonstrated financial need; and
- complete the required application.
Apply for assistance Funding
For more details on available funding and relevant Financial Aid applications for both SFU and FIC students can be found through the CARES Package application process through the My Place@SFU portal.
Students in financial need are only eligibile to receive the CARES Emergency Assistance Funding one time.
If you have unique circumstances, you can email email@example.com and one of our team members will contact you to discuss support options.
Apply for additional CARES Emergency Assistance
More details on available funding and relevant Financial Aid applications for both SFU and FIC can be found through the CARES Package application process.