- Campus services
- News and events
Learn about the graduate Master of Arts for Teachers of English program. Come to the infomration session!
The Master of Arts for Teachers of English (MATE) Program is an innovative and accessible graduate degree program that offers English teachers in the elementary, secondary or college system within the province of British Columbia the opportunity to pursue advanced studies in English literature. The MATE Program is tailored to the schedules of teachers without compromising the quality of instruction, intellectual engagement, or the rigour and breadth of scholarship of the regular MA program in English. The 2020-2022 iteration of MATE will have three courses focused on Indigenous literatures.
The MATE Program will benefit graduate students in several ways, including:
· Significant salary increases in most professional teaching environments
· Flexible scheduling to accommodate working teachers
· Coverage of a broad spectrum of traditional and new areas of English studies, including Indigenous, Asian Canadian, and Black Canadian literatures, important areas of research and teaching for BC teachers of English
· Development and refinement of interpretative, critical and scholarly skills
· Sparking the intellectual curiosity required for doctoral studies
· Development of professional competency in literary analysis and in writing
· Opportunity to engage in specialized academic scholarship
· Preparation to join the academic research community for further study
MATE is a two-year cohort program, enrolling a select group of 10-15 students in each cohort. For the 2020-2022 cohort MATE will be located in the architecturally exhilarating SFU Surrey campus. The MATE support staff are based in the English department at the Burnaby campus.
Info Session for Cohort 2020!
Friday, October 25, 2019
SFU Vancouver Campus (Harbour Centre)
Room 1700, Labatt Hall
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5A 1S6
Dr. Sophie McCall
Director, Associate Professor
Burnaby office: AQ 6112
Available to the MATE Cohort 2020!
The MATE program is offering a scholarship of $2000 to the student with the highest GPA after having completed 4 terms of study.
No application is necessary for this scholarship.