Panel examines the future of libraries
Simon Fraser University’s Burnaby campus is hosting an expert panel on Thursday, Sept. 19, created by the Royal Society of Canada (RSC) to investigate and report on the status and future of the country’s libraries and archives.
“Expert panels such as this ensure that we have independent, comprehensive and evidenced-based input into the development of public policies that will help determine the future of these valuable community resources,” says SFU Library dean Chuck Eckman.
The SFU session, at 3:30 p.m. in the IRMACS Centre, is one of a series of public events taking place across the country. Others are planned for Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Yellowknife.
The panel’s mandate is to:
- Investigate what services Canadians, including Aboriginal Canadians and new Canadians, are currently receiving from libraries and archives.
- Explore what Canadian society expects of libraries and archives in the 21st century.
- Identify the necessary changes in resources, structures, and competencies to ensure libraries and archives serve the Canadian public good in the 21st century.
- Listen to and consult the multiple voices that contribute to community building and memory building.
- Demonstrate how deeply digital technology is revolutionizing the knowledge universe.
- Conceptualize the integration of the physical and the digital in library and archive spaces.
“Libraries and archives are indispensable to engaging the public in our research, which is key to SFU's vision, research plan and open-access strategy,” says VP Research Mario Pinto.
“The SFU Library helps mobilize the knowledge we gain from our research for the benefit of our communities.
“It also supports public education through the Public Knowledge Project and data portals such as the Komagata Maru Journey and the chronicle of Chinese Canadian history."
Simon Fraser University is Canada's top-ranked comprehensive university and one of the top 50 universities in the world under 50 years old. With campuses in Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey, B.C., SFU engages actively with the community in its research and teaching, delivers almost 150 programs to more than 30,000 students, and has more than 120,000 alumni in 130 countries.
Simon Fraser University: Engaging Students. Engaging Research. Engaging Communities.