SFU spring convocation set for June 10-13
Honorary degrees will be conferred on a former Canadian prime minister, experimental psychologist, and an award-winning journalist during Simon Fraser University’s spring convocation ceremonies, June 10-13, on Burnaby Mountain.
Plus, there will be the installation of SFU’s new chancellor, Anne Giardini.
Schedule of events:
Tuesday, June 10
- 2:30 p.m. – Beedie School of Business. Honorary degree recipient: David Baines, former Vancouver Sun securities columnist, devoted 25 years and 3,887 columns to exposing illegal and unethical investment deals.
Wednesday, June 11
- 9:45 a.m. – Faculty of Applied Sciences, Faculty of Science.
- 2:30 p.m. – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Honorary degree recipient: The Right Honourable Kim Campbell, former Canadian prime minister, Canada’s first female justice minister and attorney general, and the first female defence minister of a NATO country.
Thursday, June 12
- 9:45 a.m. – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
- 2:30 p.m. – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. Honorary degree recipient: Steven Pinker, experimental psychologist and one of the world’s foremost writers on language, mind and human nature.
Friday, June 13
- 9:45 a.m. – Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology. Honorary degree recipient: John Maeda, graphic designer, computer scientist, academic and author.
- 2:30 p.m. – Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Education. Installation of SFU’s 11th chancellor, Anne Giardini.
More than 5,200 students are eligible to participate in spring convocation.
Simon Fraser University is consistently ranked among Canada's top comprehensive universities and is one of the top 50 universities in the world under 50 years old. With campuses in Vancouver, Burnaby and Surrey, B.C., SFU engages actively with the community in its research and teaching, delivers almost 150 programs to more than 30,000 students, and has more than 125,000 alumni in 130 countries.
Simon Fraser University: Engaging Students. Engaging Research. Engaging Communities.