- Faculties & Departments
- Community Programs
- News & Events
- Faculty + Staff
Sign up to receive a weekly highlight of engaging campus events, info sessions and workshops.
Described by the Vancouver Sun as the "intellectual heart of the city," Simon Fraser University’s Vancouver campus transformed the landscape of urban education in downtown Vancouver. Today, the campus is comprised of eight facilities covering over half a million square feet, clustered in the core of one of the world’s most liveable cities.
Our vision? To be a hub where life-long learning, community-engagement, arts and culture, innovation and entrepreneurship intersect and thrive to provide solutions to local, regional, national and global matters.
The Mission of Simon Fraser University is to be the leading engaged university, defined by its dynamic integration of innovative education, cutting-edge research, and far-reaching community engagement. Reflecting that mission and contextualizing it within its downtown setting, SFU Vancouver's mission is to enhance its status as a dynamic, engaged and accessible urban university campus.
Goals of the Vancouver Campus
SFU’s Vancouver campus continues to play a crucial role in the intellectual, civic, cultural, economic and social development of the city's urban core. The Vancouver campus is the university's locus of engagement with the downtown community through impactful research, innovative programs for undergrads, grads and working professionals, hundreds of public seminars and performances, and multiple forms of deep community engagement.
Innovation, knowledge mobility, cutting edge research
There is growing recognition that universities play an indispensable role in improving society through innovation, knowledge mobility, cutting-edge research and deep and meaningful community engagement.
SFU’s Vancouver campus is ideally positioned to enhance the university’s vital role through:
- Forging new partnerships that draw upon the university’s intellectual resources to solve real world problems
- Further develop internal working groups to increase SFU’s community impact
- Explore ways to help more students stay engaged and graduate earlier
- Use the Vancouver location as the hub for global engagement across the faculties
- Attract more clients to use our facilities for conferences and seminars
- Build students’ capacity to be innovative, critical and imaginative thinkers
- Demonstrate the social, economic, cultural and technological value added by SFU’s programs, faculty and students
Maintaining and strengthening SFU’s position as an urban university
Serving the broader community will rest on how well the following factors are addressed:
- Building stronger ties with our external partners
- Implementing a long range plan for space utilization and expansion
- Facilitating closer working relationships between faculty, programs and locations
- Upgrading classrooms, technology, washrooms and common areas to contemporary standards
- Demonstrating how SFU Vancouver’s research, innovation and community engagement activities have multiple and sustainable social, economic, health, cultural and civic benefits
- Securing appropriate space for growing programs
The campus offers a variety of services to ensure visitors feel safe, secure, welcome and ready to learn.
Find more information about our buildings, how to get to campus and where to find meeting space.
SFU's Vancouver campus has changed the landscape of urban education in downtown Vancouver. Find out how.
SFU's Vancouver campus is run by a dynamic team passionate about learning. Find out who we are.
SFU Vancouver is proud to host and partner on a number of signature events offered throughout the year. Learn more about what kind of events we offer.
Find out more about events, projects, and initiatives that SFU Vancouver has been working on over the past year.