SFU Vancouver FAQs

If you're new to SFU's Vancouver campus, you may have some general questions. Below, you'll find a list of answers to FAQs— from bike parking to office phone installation.

Campus hours

What are the campus hours?

  • Visit this page for the hours of all SFU's Vancouver campus buildings. Please note that all times listed are during regular hours of operation; times may vary during holidays.

How do I get access to campus after hours?

  • As a staff member, you have access to most of the SFU Vancouver campus after hours. If you need an access card for your floor or for after hours, a request should be emailed to Facilities Services at fsvhelp@sfu.ca. This request should be made by a person within your department with the appropriate authority.


How do I contact campus security?

  • Please do not hesitate to call Security immediately if you feel that there might be a problem. Security is located on the main floor in all of our buildings.

To call Security - Non-emergency:

  • Harbour Centre, local 2-5029
  • Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue, local 2-7944
  • Segal Graduate School of Business, local 2-7911
  • Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, local 2-5749
  • Dial 12 from any classroom or landline phone to contact Security.
  • Due to the public-facing nature and location of SFU Vancouver, theft is unfortunate but often occuring. Please lock your spaces and be aware of your surroundings; do not leave valuables unattended.

How do I change office or classroom temperature?

  • If there are issues with temperatures in classrooms, contact Security at 2-5029 as many thermostats have locked cages over the controls. 
  • If there are problems with office temperatures, email Facilities Services at fsvhelp@sfu.ca.
  • Individuals can adjust their own thermostats a couple of degrees up or down and should allow 30 minutes for the temperature to adjust. If the temperature does not adjust, contact fsvhelp@sfu.ca.
  • Please note that not all offices have thermostats. Often one thermostat controls the temperature for a block of offices.

How do I move my office furniture? Is there stock furniture on campus?

  • If you are looking to rearrange your office furniture or get rid of a filing cabinet, please contact Facilities Services first at fsvhelp@sfu.ca.

How do I recycle, compost or dispose of waste on campus?

Tell me more about janitorial services on campus.

  • Information on janitorial services at SFU Vancouver can be found here. Please note that with the introduction of Bin Buddies, frequency of waste services have been reduced in promotion of waste creation awareness.

How do I get...?

an SFU ID card? Library card?

Office keys and access cards?

  • To obtain keys and access cards, a request should be emailed to Facilities Services at fsvhelp@sfu.ca. This request should be made by a person within your department with the appropriate authority.


How do I get an SFU computing ID?

  • File a ticket with IT Services if you do not have an SFU computing ID.

How do I get an SFU email account?

  • SFU’s email program is called SFU Mail. To access your email, you must have an SFU computing ID to log in at mail.sfu.ca. SFU Mail offers contact management and shared calendar systems.

Help me set up my phone.

  • For landline office phone installations, email a request to phones@sfu.ca.
  • To access your voice mail from your office phone, dial 83#. To access your voicemail from another phone (ie. home, cellular, etc.), dial your phone number and as soon as you hear your voicemail message, press * and you will be prompted to enter your passcode.
  • For other questions and troubleshooting issues with SFU phones, email phones@sfu.ca.

How do I book AV/IT? How do I get help with my AV/IT issue?

I need IT help!

  • IT Services offers support and labs at SFU Vancouver. If you are an SFU student, staff or faculty member having difficulty with your SFU computer or software, please use the trouble ticket system to request assistance.

How do I connect to campus WIFI?

  • Anyone with a valid SFU ID can configure their device to connect to SFUNET-SECURE, the University's secure wireless network. An automatic secure wireless installer is available to members of the SFU community that takes the hassle out of installing SFUNET-SECURE or eduroam.
  • Non-SFU visitors attending SFU events should contact the event organizer to inquire if network access has been arranged for them.

How do I get a document printed? I need a banner, poster, etc.

  • To have larger documents and materials such as banners printed, please contact Document Solutions.


What do I do if there is an emergency on campus?

  • If you are in an emergency situation please dial 911 from the closest phone (phones located in every room). If the issue is not an emergency but requires Security, please see the phone number located on the in-room phone.
  • In the event of a fire or other emergency requiring evacuation, please take note of the procedures on this page.
  • If you are connected to social media, please follow @SFUVan on Twitter and SFU Vancouver on Facebook, as updates will often be sent through these channels.

Tell me more about disability access on campus.

  • For disability access, please contact Facilities Services at 778.782.5085 or fsvhelp@sfu.ca.

Are there conflict resolution resources on campus?

  • SFU has an Office of the Ombudsperson, which offers both conflict resolution services and informational workshops. The SFU community is committed to the fair and just treatment of each and every member of the University. SFU was the first university in North America to establish an Ombuds Office. For almost 50 years the Office has provided confidential, informal, independent and impartial dispute resolution services to students by providing information, advice, intervention and referrals.

Are there resources for Aboriginal Protocols on campus?


Are there Health & Counselling Services at SFU Vancouver? 

  • Doctors and counsellors are available for appointments at Harbour Centre. Visit the office on the Upper Mall Level of Harbour Centre. Please visit the Health & Counselling website for hours and booking information.

Tell me more about INgagement & Wellness Programs.

  • SFU's Vancouver campus is home to a healthy and connected campus community. Please take a moment to check out the great campus community programming, from yoga and meditation classes, to interdepartmental social gatherings.

Tell me more about library services at SFU Vancouver.

  • Belzberg Library is the first point of library contact for staff, faculty and students at SFU Vancouver. Once you obtain an SFU ID card issued through Information/Registrar Services, this card acts as your library card and allows you to borrow any of the over 2.5 million books, films and music recordings in the SFU Library collection. You can request items to be delivered from Burnaby and Surrey campus libraries or other libraries at no charge through Interlibrary Loan.
  • An SFU Computing ID lets staff access almost 3 million online items through the SFU Library website. Many of these databases, journal articles or ebooks would only be available for a fee to non-SFU users.
  • To find out more about Belzberg Library, take the virtual tour.

How do I book a room for an event? To study with a group?

Where do I find promotional support for my event?

  • SFU's Vancouver campus is home to an office of University Communications. If you have an event, study or research announcement you would like profiled, the office is happy to help spread the word. Email sfu_comms@sfu.ca for public and media relations support.

Where do I order catering for a meeting or event on campus?

How do I send intercampus mail? How do I order a courier?

  • For information on how to send and receive intercampus mail, see this page.
  • For more information on couriers and deliveries, see this page.


How do I get to the SFU Vancouver campus? 

  • The SFU Vancouver campus is located in one of the largest transportation hubs in British Columbia. Staff, faculty and students are encouraged to utilize public transportation, bike or walk to campus when possible. On this page, you can find directions to SFU Vancouver by bus, SkyTrain or car.

Where can I lock my bike?

  • One of the great things about SFU Vancouver is the ability to bike here.
    • Harbour Centre: Lock your bike outside of the 515 West Hastings St. entrance.
    • Goldcorp Centre for the Arts: Bike racks are located near the Cordova St. entrance.
    • Richards St. bike cages: Limited bike cage storage is also available. The cages require an access fob, which can be obtained from the Harbour Centre offices on the 20th floor of the tower. There is a refundable deposit of $25 and you will be asked to sign a user agreement. For further information, please call Harbour Centre at 604-689-7304.
  • You can also find various bike racks on the surrounding sidewalks.
  • Cyclists to SFU Vancouver should also note that there are showers located in the Harbour Centre gym that can be accessed with membership.
  • If you forget your bike lock, you can borrow one for the day from Security in the main foyer when you show your ID.

Where do I park my car near SFU Vancouver?

  • There are many parking garages located around SFU Vancouver. Two of the closest garages are the Imperial Parking garage at 450 West Cordova St. and the Diamond Parking garage at 443 Seymour St. Both have hourly and monthly parking available.

Where can I find...?

The Staff Room?

  • A staff lunch room is located on the 2nd floor of Harbour Centre and is opened with a keypad. The lunch room has a fridge, microwave and dishwasher. The keypad code can be obtained by contacting Facilities Services at fsvhelp@sfu.ca.

The Gym?  

  • The gym is located beside the SFU Bookstore, has full cardio and weight training equipment as well as change rooms and showers. Harbour Centre allows gym access to SFU employees at a $120/year rate, prorated. To obtain a gym pass, please email Facilties Services at fsvhelp@sfu.ca.

Meditation Space?

  • Located on the 7th floor at Harbour Centre, the Interfaith & Meditation room is a place for students, staff and faculty to use for prayer, reflection, meditation and exploration of their faith and spiritual well-being on campus. 

The SFU Bookstore?

  • Harbour Centre is home to an SFU Bookstore location. Textbooks, SFU office supplies, stationery, gifts and study space can be found at the bookstore, located on the UM level of Harbour Centre.


  • There are day lockers available at the Harbour Centre gym on the 2nd floor of Harbour Centre. Contact Registrar and Informations Services for more information on access to these lockers.

A Battery Recycling Bin?

  • If you have any batteries that need to be recycled, please drop them off to either the Security Booth on the main floor of Harbour Centre or to the Facilities Services office located at UM 500.

Still didn't find the answer to your question? Email vanadmin@sfu.ca.