Distinguished SFU Professsors
As a joint initiative of Simon Fraser University’s Vice-President, Academic and Provost and the Vice-President, Research and International, the Distinguished SFU Professor program recognizes SFU research faculty members of distinction who have achieved exceptional performance and distinguished accomplishments relative to their rank and years of service.
The 2020 Distinguished SFU Professors are:
- Professor Richard Zhang, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Computing Science
- Professor Diane Gromala, Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology
- Professor Phil Winne, Faculty of Education
- Professor Kirsten Zickfeld, Faculty of Environment, Geography
- Professor Frank Gobas, Faculty of Environment, Resource & Environmental Management
- Professor Julian Somers, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professor Zuo-Guang Ye, Faculty of Science, Chemistry
See the full story about our first Distinguished SFU Professors on SFU News.
Nominations are made by Faculty Deans and university Vice-Presidents. Final selections are made by the VPA and VPRI, using advice received from the Distinguished SFU Professor Advisory Committee.
Please see the Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.
The Advisory Committee members and the faculties they represent are:
- Professor Wendy Chun, Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology
- Professor Richard Lockhart, Faculty of Science
- Professor Marlene Moretti, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Professor Ash Parameswaran, Faculty of Applied Sciences
- Professor Michael Richards, Faculty of Environment
- Professor Rosalie Tung, SFU Beedie School of Business
- Professor Hui Xie, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professor Rina Zazkis, Faculty of Education
The title of Distinguished SFU Professor recognizes and rewards research faculty of any rank who meet the following criteria:
- Have a demonstrated and sustained record of distinguished, exemplary accomplishments in their scholarly or creative work/or innovation relative to their rank and stage of their career;
- Have a national or international reputation;
- Have achieved pre-eminence in their field while also aligning with the university’s strategic objective and/or emerging priorities; and
- Have a demonstrated commitment to collegial leadership and to engagement.
Please see the complete list of policies and procedures for this initiative by visiting SFU’s Policies and Procedures website, as well as the program guidelines (including nomination guidelines) and nomination form.
For more information on the nomination and adjudication of the Distinguished SFU Professor initiative, please contact the Vice-President, Academic Office at 778.782.3925 or email email@example.com.