Excellence in Teaching Award
Nominated by faculty and students, the Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes the excellence and dedication of educators, and their ability to impart knowledge and stimulate learning.
The 2021 winners are:
Diana Cukierman, university lecturer, School of Computing Science, Faculty of Applied Science
Sarah Walshaw, senior lecturer, Department of History, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Nadine Wicks, senior lecturer, Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology (BPK), Faculty of Science
You can read more about the 2021 winners in Latest News.
How the award works
All continuing full and part-time faculty members (tenured and tenure-track professors, lecturers, and lab instructors) who have taught a minimum of five years in a continuing position at SFU are eligible for nomination for the Excellence in Teaching Award.
Nominations may be made by Simon Fraser University students, alumni and/or faculty (individuals or groups). Nominators fill in fill in a nominations form and may include an additional letter of nomination if they wish.
View past award recipients.
The winners of the Award will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- Ability to stimulate students to think creatively and critically
- Demonstrated caring for student learning
- Ability to clearly present complex information
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for, and innovation in, teaching
- Sustained record of excellent teaching
- Diversity of courses
The following are some yearly deadlines and a timeline for determining winners:
- October 15—Call for Nominations
- Nominee eligibility is determined
- Late October—Letters are sent to nominees requesting consent for their nomination to stand.
- Early November—Letters to chairs/Deans requesting supporting documentation
- Early November—Letters are sent to students requesting a teaching evaluation on each of the nominees. Fifty-one students taught by each of the nominees are slected (student records from the past six years are obtained from the Institutional Research and Planning department)
- Late November—Nominees may be asked for access to further information on their impact
- The committee adjudicate the Awards based on the criteria set by the Committee. The 2021 Excellence in Teaching Award selection members are TBA
- February—Awards are presented to the winners atr the Awards Ceremony in February
For more information on the nomination and adjudication of the Excellence in Teaching Award contact the Vice-President, Academic Office at: 778.782.3925 or email@example.com.