Excellence in Teaching Awards
Nominated by faculty and students, the award recognizes these educators’ excellence and dedication, and their ability to impart knowledge and stimulate learning.
Nominations for Awards for the Excellence in Teaching is now CLOSED.
Nominations for Awards for the Excellence in Teaching are due October 15.
All continuing full and part-time faculty members (tenured and tenure-track professors, lecturers and lab instructors) who have taught a minimum of five years in a continuing position at SFU shall be eligible for nomination for the Excellence in Teaching Awards.
Nominations may be made by Simon Fraser University students, alumni and/or faculty (individuals or groups). Nominators should fill in this nomination form and may include an additional letter of nomination if they wish.
View past award recipients.
Please send nominations to:
The winners of the Awards will be selected based upon the following criteria:
- Ability to stimulate students to think creatively and critically
- Demonstrated caring for student learning
- Ability to clearly present complex information
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for, and innovation in, teaching
- Sustained record of excellent teaching
- Diversity of courses
The steps to determining winners are listed below:
- Call for Nominations--yearly deadline: October 15
- Nominee eligibility is determined
- Letters are sent to Nominee requesting consent for nomination to stand (Deadline: late October) and access to further information on their impact--Deadline: late November
- Letters to Chairs/Deans requesting supporting documentation--Deadline: early November
- Letters to Students requesting a teaching evaluation on each of the nominees. Fifty one students taught by each of the nominees are selected (student records from the past six years are obtained from the Institutional Research and Planning department)--Deadline: early November
- The committee adjudicate the Awards based on the criteria set by the Committee. The 2020 Awards for Excellence in Teaching selection committee members are listed here
- Awards are presented to the winners at the Award Ceremony in February
For more information on the nomination and adjudication of the Excellence in Teaching Awards contact the Vice-President, Academic Office at: 778.782.3925 or email@example.com.