Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
A commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion and mutual respect, and to celebrating diversity, is a foundational principle underlying SFU's strategic vision.
In furtherance of that commitment, the university recently appointed Kim Hart as Special Advisor to the Provost on Equity and Diversity. Kim is working in collaboration with many others, as outlined below, and the initiative she is leading during 2018 will complement, reinforce, and build on the equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives already underway at SFU and will be informed by existing reports and recommendations as well as the work being championed by staff, faculty, students, offices, units, organizations, and committees across the university including the Aboriginal Reconciliation Council, SFUFA and its Equity Committee, Academic Woman, Student Services, Human Resources, Faculty Relations, Office of the Vice President Research, the Sexual Violence Support and Prevention Office, Ombudsperson, the Human Rights Office, SFU West (SFU Women in Science, Engineering and Technology), SFU International, the Global Students Centre, Interfaith Centre, Out on Campus, the Women’s Centre, the student societies, student clubs and organizations and many others.
Part of Kim’s task over the next year, working in collaboration with others and with the advice of an advisory group (comprised of faculty, staff and students) is to engage in a community consultation and to prepare a report with recommendations for an action plan, including a framework for embedding equity, diversity and inclusion more deeply into SFU's institutional practices and processes. More information about the community consultation will be available in mid-April.
Professor Genevieve Fuji Johnson from the Department of Political Science has been appointed by the Provost as a Senior Advisor to the Provost’s Office on Faculty Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement to work alongside Kim throughout 2018.
They will work in collaboration with Adeline Huynh, the Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (Human Resources), Heather Williams, who is leading the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Project in the Office of the Vice Provost, Students and International, and Theresa Burley who had a lead role in preparing the university’s Canada Research Chair Program Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, among others.
To inform, guide and coordinate this work, Kim will establish and chair both an advisory group and a coordinating group. An initial meeting of the coordinating group was held in February. The advisory group's first meeting was held Thursday, March 22, 2018.
For further information or discussion, we invite you to contact us:
- For general questions or comments about the equity, diversity and inclusion initiative.
Contact Kimberly (Kim) Hart, firstname.lastname@example.org, Special Advisor to the Provost on Equity and Diversity.
- For questions or comments about this initiative as it relates to faculty members.
Contact Genevieve Fuji Johnson, email@example.com, Senior Advisor to the Provost’s Office on Faculty Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement.
- To discuss any questions, issues or concerns related to equity, diversity or inclusion for faculty.
Contact the Executive Director of Faculty Relations.
- Please note: Dr. Larry Axelrod has made the decision to return to his consulting practice as of April 9, 2018. His last day in the Director, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (Faculty Relations) will be April 6, 2018. The university appreciates Larry’s contributions to the EDI initiative during his time in the Director’s role. Larry will continue to provide consulting services to Human Resources and Faculty Relations in the areas of facilitation, conflict resolution and related training and coaching. In the coming weeks the university will consider how it will address equity, diversity and inclusion within the Faculty Relations portfolio. An update will be posted here.
- To discuss any questions, issues or concerns related to equity, diversity or inclusion for staff
Contact Adeline Huynh, firstname.lastname@example.org, Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (Human Resources).
- For questions about SFU’s Canada Research Chair Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan.
Contact Theresa Burley, email@example.com, Major Projects Office, VPR.
- For questions about this initiative as it relates to students and for questions about the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Project in the Office of the Academic Vice Provost, Students and International.
- Contact Heather Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, Equity Diversity and Inclusion Project, AVPSI
Calling all women Assistant or Associate Professors in STEM in Canada!
Are you preparing for tenure or promotion?
Want to learn more about how you can get ready to face this next step in your career?
Join us at the Step-up Workshop to learn Academic Advancement Strategies for Women in STEM.