Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at SFU
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
We would like to acknowledge that at Simon Fraser University we live and work on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples of the Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh and Kweikwitlem Nations.
SFU’s goal is to ensure our campuses are welcoming places for everyone to gather and learn and that all who work or study here feel a sense of belonging, inclusion, fairness and mutual respect.
To help make our three campuses places where everyone feels welcome and valued, SFU is launching It’s Time to Listen, Talk and Reflect, a series of events and community conversations around the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion.
How do Equity, Diversity and Inclusion relate to each other?
- Inclusion refers to belonging
- Equity is about fairness
- Diversity involves mutual respect
Because these terms can mean different things to each of us, we’ve provided some definitions as a starting point for conversation.
Gathering input: steps towards a strategy
The input received during this three-month process will be used to develop a strategy, with actionable recommendations, for advancing equity, diversity and inclusion across all aspects of the university, and embedding these principles more deeply into all of SFU’s practices, policies, and procedures. This input will also further advance the work already underway across different areas of the university as we collectively work towards creating a culture of greater understanding, acceptance, and mutual respect and toward more inclusive and equitable practices.
Process for input takes place from January to April 2019
We’re asking members of the SFU campus community to share their insights and opinions as part of this three-month process of events and conversations and we’re providing a variety of ways to contribute including:
- Attending (in-person or online) the It’s Time to Listen, Talk and ReflectSpeaker Series events
- Taking part in ascheduled conversation with an on-campus group
- Invite us to meet with your on-campus group around a specific topic related to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion by contacting Krisztina Fulop at email@example.com
- Students who prefer to host a conversation with a group of peers are invited to use our Conversation Guide and then submit a summary of the group’s insights, ideas and opinions.
Find out more about the activities underway through the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion initiative by visiting our Conversation process page.
Join in the community conversation about belonging, inclusion, fairness and respect at SFU.
Two-Spirit Reconciliation: Honouring the Truth; Reconciling for the Future
February 6 | 2:30 – 4:30 pm learn more →