Library and Archives
Posted positions are listed below each department. If no positions ae listed, please check the department's web site.
Reference Librarians (Term)
Simon Fraser University Library invites applications for Term Reference Librarian positions at the Burnaby, Surrey and Vancouver campuses for the Spring 2019 semester. Locations and hours may be subject to change and appointments may be full time or part time depending on library needs and on the successful candidates’ availability.
The incumbents will be responsible for providing in-person and online research help and instruction in all disciplines and for contributing to projects. This position will be attractive to a very adaptable and innovative individual with excellent communication and collaborative skills and a user-centered focus; one who is highly motivated to embrace new technologies and to provide services to faculty and students.
Ranked by respected national surveys as one of Canada’s top three comprehensive universities for the past 20 years, Simon Fraser University has also been consistently named one of British Columbia’s Top Employers in recent years, as well as one of Canada’s Top 100 employers, and one of Canada's top family-friendly employers. SFU offers more than 100 undergraduate major and joint major programs and more than 45 graduate offerings, spanning many disciplines in eight faculties, and has an international reputation for its innovative interdisciplinary and professional programs.
The university has three campuses on the unceded traditional territory of the Coast Salish people; the main WAC Bennett Library is located on the Burnaby campus, while the Samuel and Frances Belzberg Library is on the Vancouver campus, and Fraser Library is at SFU Surrey.
The SFU Library is known for the development and implementation of innovative technology, leadership in Open Access, and excellent in-person and online user services. We serve an ethnically diverse student population, most of whom live off-campus and work part-time while attending university. SFU Library collaborates broadly with other institutions through membership in the Canadian Association of Research Libraries, the Association of Research Libraries, and regional consortia. For more information, visit our web site.
Successful candidates will:
· Provide in-person and online research help in all disciplines as a member of a team serving students and faculty in an active research environment
· Provide instruction on research skills and the use of information resources through individual consultations, instruction, and the provision of research help guides
· Work individually or with other library staff on projects
· Develop professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis
· Advance the values and goals outlined in the Library’s Strategic Plan
· MLIS or equivalent from an accredited institution in hand by start date
· Broad knowledge of print and electronic resources for a wide variety of disciplines required
· Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills required
· Experience in web page creation and/or design required
· Demonstrated skill in planning and delivering instruction required
· Demonstrated ability to master research tools and information sources thoroughly and quickly required
· Demonstrated ability to assist students and faculty from a variety of disciplines in a busy research environment
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collegial team environment
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity
· Superior interpersonal and intercultural skills
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Chat reference experience an asset.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Appointments will be during the period from January 2019 to April 2019. Positions will include weekday, evening and weekend hours. Exact dates and schedules will be negotiated with the successful candidates and are dependent on available funding.
Librarians and Division Heads are members of the SFU Faculty Association. Terms, conditions and benefits of employment are outlined in the Collective Agreement.
As this is an entry-level position, the SFU Library gives preference to applications from qualified individuals at the Librarian 1 level (i.e. with less than two years professional experience). View SFU Librarian salary scales here
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Simon Fraser University is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all genders, including visible minorities, persons of Aboriginal heritage, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ-identified persons.
Under the authority of the University Act, personal information that is required by the University for academic appointment competitions will be collected. For further details see the Collection Notice.
To be given assured consideration applications must be submitted by email in one consolidated PDF document with cover letter, curriculum vitae and three references by 9 a.m. PDT on December 3, 2018. Please include your days of availability with your application to:
Library Management Office
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University