Over the past 10 years, SFU has transformed into one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. SFU is consistently ranked among Canada's top 15 research universities by major global and national university ranking systems.
In the last 10 years, SFU has nearly doubled its research income. With nearly 40% of its research income from Federal Tri-Council agencies, SFU ranks among Canada's top 11 universities for Tri-Council research funding per full-time faculty.
At the heart of SFU's research is a strategy for wide-reaching collaborations at the local, national and international levels, to foster a seamless continuum of knowledge generation and knowledge transfer across diverse sectors. SFU has an international footprint of partnerships with over 2100 institutions worldwide, in more than 110 countries.
Research at SFU spans across eight Faculties, covering a broad range of fundamental, interdisciplinary, and applied research topics, from origins of the universe, to future-oriented technologies, from nano-science to macroeconomics. On average, SFU researchers publish 2250 journal articles per year, with 28% of these appearing in the world's most elite (top 10%) journals.
SFU consistently ranks among Canada's top universities in research impact. In the latest QS World University Rankings, SFU is ranked 2nd among Canadian universities for citations per faculty, while Times Higher Education ranked SFU 8th among Canadian universities for subject-normalized total citations. Elsevier's SciVal, places SFU 5th among Canadian universities by field-weighted citation impact.
SFU is consistently ranked among Canada's top universities in major national and global ranking systems:
- In Maclean's Rankings, SFU has been ranked 1st every year in the Comprehensive University category, with the exception of 2014, when it was ranked 2nd.
- In its 2016-2017 World University Rankings, Times Higher Education ranked SFU 10th in Canada overall, and 8th for citations.
- SFU ranks 11th in Canada for a second straight year in the latest QS World University Rankings, ranking 2nd once again in the country for research impact.
- The 2016 CWTS Leiden Ranking ranks SFU 2nd among Canadian universities for percentage of international collaborative publications.
- The 2017 U.S. News Global Rankings places SFU in the 11th spot in Canada, based on its research output, impact, and reputation, supplied by Web of Science data. The rankings also places SFU among the top 10 universities in Canada in 8 subject areas, ranking 5th in Physics, and Environment/Ecology, and 6th in Computer Science.
SFU has established 47 research centres under the direct authority of the relevant Faculty Dean, and 27 research institutes that have a university-wide mandate or multi-university consortium.
In the past decade, SFU has spun-out, mentored, incubated or assisted over 200 companies, adding more than 2,400 new jobs to our economy and contributing annual tax revenues of about $186 million.
See how our students, staff and faculty are making a difference in communities at home and across the globe.