Scholarships and Awards
The Caledonia Awards in World Literature
Two awards, valued at a minimum of $1,000 each, will be granted annually to undergraduate students who meet the following criteria:
- are enrolled full-time in a Bachelor's degree program in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in the term of eligibility;
- have a formal declaration in the Honours, Major, Joint Major, Extended Minor, or Minor program in World Literature;
- are in good academic standing; and
- whose thoughtful approach to their studies and extracurricular activities demonstrates a commitment to the value of cultural exchange and understanding.
Students may receive the award only once during their undergraduate studies.
**due date for the application materials end of day September 25th 2018**
Applications should be submitted to the office of the Director, World Literature Program and must include:
- a current resume or CV;
- a statement outlining how the applicant's thoughtful approach to their studies and extracurricular activities demonstrates a commitment to the value of cultural exchange and understanding; and
- a letter of reference from an individual, other than a faculty member of the World Literature Program, who can authenticate the applicant's statement.
The award will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee upon the nomination of the Director, World Literature Program.
Melek Ortabasi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Director,
World Literature Program
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
CANADA V5A 1S6
Mahatma Gandhi Student Award
Up to $1,500 awarded in Fall
The Mahatma Gandhi Annual Student Award was established at Simon Fraser University in 2007 through the generous contributions of the Institute for the Humanities at SFU, the Thakore Endowment, and the India Club. The purpose of this award is to recognize and honour those SFU students who, in the spirit of Gandhi’s work, have been active in voluntary community service in areas related to peace, justice and human rights.
The Mahatma Gandhi Annual Student Award, valued at up to $1,500, will be granted annually to a current or newly admitted full-time SFU student in good academic standing on the basis of demonstrated community service and leadership.
Voluntary service may include any voluntary service which contributes toward the betterment of the human condition: health related and caring services, literacy and training programs, peer group assistance, work with peace organizations, social justice initiatives, community building services, anti-violence programs, anti-poverty programs, and local, national and international programs that address issues related to peace, justice, and human rights.
Applications packages must include:
1. a one page description of the student’s volunteer work which includes why you chose volunteer work in the area of your choice, your experience as a volunteer, and, lastly, speaks to the question of how effective you feel your volunteer work was.
2. include at least one letter of reference from a person in the organization or group with which you volunteered.
3. a resume which includes all of your paid and volunteer work to date.
Complete application packages must be received no later than September 14, 2016 . Recipients will be recognized at the Gandhi Jayanti each year.
The recipient of the award will be made by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee based upon the nomination of the Institute of Humanities Gandhi committee.
* New and current SFU undergraduate students
* Deadline for all entries is September 14, 2016 .
Entries are to be sent to the Institute for the Humanities, #3150, SFU Harbour Centre, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6B 5K3 .
For more information about the history of this award and past recipients, please visit: http://gandhijayanti.com/
SFU Internal Writing Awards:
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/1221 - Philosophy Essay
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/1278 - Early Literature Essay
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/1067 - History [African/Middle-Eastern/Asian]
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/785 - Children's Lit [Essay or Creative]
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/778 - European History Essay
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/775 - Jane Austen Essay
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/786 - Canadian History Essay
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/1400 - Original Screenplay; bound to FPA 322 and Major program
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/1290 - Successful completion of Creative Writing course; by staff nomination
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/780 - Unpublished Play
https://awards-search.sfu.ca/Home/AwardDetail/1329 - For an International Student demonstrating intercultural engagement.
MAY 1st - http://www.owfg.com/diversity
JULY 1 - HISTORY ESSAY CONTEST - http://winstonchurchillbc.org/about/scholarships/
MAY 31st - http://www.mhso.ca/tiesthatbind/scholarship.php