FW: Cmns 110 update (Sept. 6)

Title: FW: Cmns 110 update (Sept. 6)

------ Forwarded Message
From: Gary McCarron <gmccarro@sfu.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:57:09 -0700
To: <cmns110-d1@sfu.ca>
Conversation: Cmns 110 update (Sept. 6)
Subject: Cmns 110 update (Sept. 6)

Hello everyone

Once again, welcome to Communication 110.  I hope that you are settled comfortably into university life and looking forward to your studies — especially Communication 110!

I am sending this message to the entire class (and to the TA’s) in order to answer a few questions that have come to me from different members of the class.  This will be a bit more efficient than answering the individual emails, I hope.

First, it isn’t possible for me to switch someone to a different tutorial even in cases where the computer shows that a different tutorial currently has an available space.  You need to speak with your TA — the TA who leads the tutorial to which you were assigned — and see if it is possible to find someone in another tutorial (one that fits your schedule) who is willing to change places with you.  As I explained in class, there are different issues involved with tutorial changes that make an apparently simple process complex, issues such as workload matters.  I am aware that this is a real inconvenience for someone who needs to change tutorials owing to a change in their work schedule outside of the university, but we still must ensure that the relative numbers for each TA remain constant.

Second, I mentioned in the first class that the lectures are being recorded in digital format and made available on the university web site.  Here is the URL for the recordings:  http://cgi.sfu.ca/~lectures/pub_html/cgi-bin/index.php
Just select ‘Communication,’ then choose ‘110’ and the relevant week.

Third, for those of you asking about course handouts, readings, the lecture schedule, and so on, please follow the link at the bottom of this message in my signature to my web page and select the Communication 110 link.  This will take you to a site where the course outline and the reading schedule are available in .pdf format.

Fourth, I mentioned in class that term papers would be due in the second to last week of classes, the week of November 19th.  Your TA may ask you to hand those assignments in at the lecture on Tuesday or during your regularly scheduled tutorial hour.  They will let you know in plenty of time which they prefer.

Finally, I will save the email messages I send to the class and make them available online in case you miss any.  They will make fascinating reading.

Hope everyone is enjoying the readings for next week.

cheers

Gary McCarron
Graduate Chair
School of Communication