Formatting your term paper

Several people have asked me by email if they can use a system for paper formatting different from the one explained in the handout in the course Briefcase, "Writing a Research Paper."  I have no particular objections to people using alternative formatting systems, but in order to help everyone be consistent here is some general advice.

If, for some reason, you want to format your paper differently, then follow the guidelines used by the Canadian Journal of Communication which I have pasted below.  These are the normal guidelines for authors in Communication Studies in Canada, so it is a good idea to follow this model as you prepare to become an accomplished Communication scholar yourself.  The important thing is always to be consistent in whatever method you use.

Layout

Heading Styles

Citations in the Text