XMPP IM federation of .edu's

Just resubmitting..

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: rgraves@carleton.edu
To: hillman@sfu.ca
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 1:08:49 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Bounce to moderator of "zimbra-hied-admins": sender "rgraves@carleton.edu" not authorized

Probably not on many people's radar, but something that Zimbra could enable:

Might it be interesting if every .edu could securely IM every other .edu? And layer presence and VOIP over that?

All you have to do to play around with the possibility today is publish a SRV record. Here's mine.

$ host -t srv _xmpp-server._tcp.carleton.edu
_xmpp-server._tcp.carleton.edu SRV 5 0 5269 mail.carleton.edu.

IM is quite correctly labeled as BETA in ZCS 5.0.5, and I am not interested in supporting it until at least next fall, but it might be fun to play with it in this group.

Google Talk federation works today. I need to verify, but I believe that federation with schools that outsource to GMail, like Arizona State, would also work if they were to publish XMPP SRV records.
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin

--
Steve Hillman                                IT Architect
hillman@sfu.ca                               IT Infrastructure