Re: restoring

> How do you replay these logs? Is the following correct?
>
> * fsck the device that would be mounted to /opt/zimbra before
>   mounting it.

Not needed; the ext3 journal will replay automatically. With a small chance of data corruption, so I wouldn't count on this as your only backup.

> * Once Zimbra is up do a zmrestore -restoreToRedoSeq based on the
>   desired seq number in /opt/zimbra/redolog.

Not needed; Zimbra replays to latest available automatically upon startup. You'll see redolog messages in mailbox.log for several minutes, and if clients connect *immediately* upon startup they might get to observe the replay in progress -- just like watching an Outlook+ZCO installation catch up -- but nothing bad will happen.

zmplayredo (added in 5.0.8) is about rolling forward arbitrary redologs that are *not* stored in the usual place. For example, you take a snapshot, then manually copy redologs from the live system to bring the snapshot copy up to current. Kind of like an old-school Oracle 8 "standby database".