Re: LVM

Because we went live very quickly, and didn't really appreciate the idea
of creating new mail volumes, we're running ReiserFS on LVM over iSCSI.
   Normally, I'm LVM's biggest fan -- the technology is great.  However,
unless the LVM folks have recently changed something, I really don't
recommend it for anything that involves multipath capable storage.

LVM fundamentally seems to manage physical slices by their /dev/[sh]d
device name, and not the disk id's.  Disk id's are persistent across
path changes, but /dev/sdX id's aren't.  It seems that when a path
change happens, multipathd increments the /dev/sdX value, so what was
perhaps /dev/sdc is now /dev/sdd, and this just causes LVM a world of
pain.  Mount points go read-only and you've got to unmount, vgscan,
vgchange -a y, and then remount.

If I've just missed the boat, and someone knows a flag to pass LVM to
recognized physical drives by the /dev/disk-by-id/ entry, I would _love_
to hear it, because I've got a ton of LVM on multi-path storage, and am
busy scheming how to migrate it with a minimum of pain.

--
Tom Golson
Senior Lead Systems Engineer