Re: Thoughts about storage

Heh.  No, I'm not quite that motivated.  And honestly, on x86, Solaris
has generally been a very unsatisfying proposition.  Opensolaris/Solaris
11 though, really does have some promise, so maybe Zimbra will consider it?

We do run a lot of Sun/Solaris gear, though, and our Sun rep has been
talking up their new 7000-series "unified storage" appliances.  They run
ZFS and it looks like Sun _may_ have a real winner here.  The prospect
of getting 20 TB of fast NFS/iSCSI disk for the cost of 7 TB of NetApp
disk is _awful_ tempting.

My thoughts on NFS were just idle reflections on the fact that Zimbra
volumes other than the indexing/database volume don't seem to have any
particular requirement for being block storage.  Since ZFS is an
extremely feature-rich and robust file-system, and I feel better the
state of affairs when an NFS mount goes away than I do when an iSCSI
mount goes away, it seems like it might not be a terrible idea to use
NFS for mail volumes.

All we use NFS for, though, is backups.  Sorry for the confusion. :-)..

--Tom