Anyone doing IM on a multi-server install?

We'd like to be able to move our Jabber service over to Zimbra at some point, but our multi-server install would seem to be an impediment.  Unless I'm missing something, the front-end proxy for Zimbra (nginx) is not XMPP-aware, so it's incapable of being able to route XMPP packets to the appropriate back-end mailbox server, the way it can for POP, IMAP, and now HTTP.  As such, if a user wants to use a Jabber desktop client, they'd need to know what mailbox server they're on. More importantly, as near as I can tell, this would completely prevent external Jabber servers from being able to send messages to our users - our users' Jabber ID would be <user@sfu.ca>, but the XMPP path to them would be <user@mailbox(n).sfu.ca>

Has anyone figured out a way around this? Is anyone at Zimbra working on an XMPP proxy? Obviously someone's figured this out - GTalk is XMPP-based (or at least XMPP compatible) and they can do it :)

--
Steve Hillman                                IT Architect
hillman@sfu.ca                               IT Infrastructure