From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@athabascau.ca>
To: "Steve Hillman" <hillman@sfu.ca>
Cc: "zimbra-hied-admins" <zimbra-hied-admins@sfu.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:28:47 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: High-volume server settings

On February 17, 2009, Steve Hillman wrote:
> We have 4 mailbox servers with about 12,000 users on each so far. It wasn't
> until we did our student migration over Christmas (which took us from
> 10,000 total users to 42,000) that we had to tweak our thread counts. The
> HTTP threads weren't even really obvious (and I'm still not 100% sure we
> were running out), but it *seemed* to make a difference to web snappyness
> when I doubled them to 500.

this is good to hear. Because we started to get worried about thread counts
with only 300 active users that need to be trippled, which doesn't seem to be
a scalable approach. What you're saying makes sense to me.

> If your servers are sluggish or unresponsive, the problem is probably one
> of two things - memory or disk. More memory == less disk reads (doesn't
> help writes much). We run with 32gb on each mailbox server and give MySQL
> 14gb. Right now, that's theoretically enough for the entire mysql database
> to fit in RAM
>
> We have a shelf (14 drives) of fibrechannel disks dedicated to each mailbox
> server for db and index storage. The 'store' space runs fine off of SATA
> drives

thanks to your posts and other information from this ML we're doing exactly
the same :) It doesn't look though that we're hitting hardware issue. Not at
first sight anyway (environments are pretty much idle from io and os load
perspective).

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator