From: "Rich Graves" <rgraves@carleton.edu>
To: "zimbra-hied-admins" <zimbra-hied-admins@sfu.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:04:03 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: 6.0.4 upgrade done

So, we did the 6.0.4 upgrade for our 3000 users on December 19th. At the same time, I upgraded from RHEL 4.8 to RHEL 5.4.

So far, so good. While we won't really know until students return next Monday, CPU/RAM/IO utilization appears about the same.

Anticipated annoyances:

 - Child accounts are unavailable until at least 6.0.5. We went back to the earlier solutions they disliked: Shared passwords/multiple browsers for resource accounts, and shared folders/personas for email and calendars. Help desk is unwilling to read up on the new delegation/forwarding features intended to address boss/secretary relationships.

 - The new IM status bar takes up too much space, so we've turned IM off in the default CoS and enabled it only for people who were actively using webmail IM under 5.x

 - About a dozen of our 90-some Outlook users with very large mailboxes had badly corrupted profiles that needed to be rebuilt. This sometimes happened during minor 5.x upgrades too. Or during normal operation, so I'm not blaming the upgrade.

Things we hadn't counted on:

 - One user has lost admin rights to half of her shared calendars in Zimbra web client, even though zmmailbox and her own Preferences->Sharing show the admin rights correctly. Support case 00047690.

 - For a handful of Outlook users, GAL entries were duplicated. Manually forcing a GAL sync resolved the problem.

 - Filter rules now apply to POP/IMAP mail fetched from accounts specified in Preferences->Mail->Accounts. To keep POPped mail in the intended download folder, it might be necessary to define a rule

 - About 10 people (more than expected) were using the obscure ". 1" keyboard shortcuts feature described at http://testzimbra.com/zimbra/help/en_US/advanced/Userspecific/Using_Shortcuts_to_navigate.htm. The custom folder shortcuts feature was removed in 6.0, superseded by a generic "mm" shortcut. Use Control-Q to get a context-sensitive list of the latest shortcuts. There is an RFE to restore the old feature. http://www.zimbra.com/forums/users/32544-assign-numeric-shortcuts-6-a.html

 - While several users (and our tests) are working, a couple users with MacOS Leopard are failing to connect with iCal. Error: "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request" to operation CalDAVAccountRefreshQueuableOperation

 - The Yahoo Emoticons zimlet has created in some users an expectation of WYSIWYG smilies. They get an email from a GMail user with embedded smilies and don't understand why the same thing doesn't work with Zimbra. (GMail embeds smiley GIFs.)
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin