Re: Do you do HSM?

Hello all,

I got 8 replies and many of you shared details on storage architecture, scripts to schedule backups/HSM, and tips on network connections and HSM policies.

Attached is a general summary but it left out quite a lot of details that are not easy to sum up in there, in particular, SAN disk types and RADI configurations etc. Please refer original threads for those.

Consensus on top issues:

1. HSM is a matured ZCS feature to manage tiered storage
2. Use fiber channel connections to slower SAN disks, or iSCSI/SAN, NFS is not recommended
3. Should have redundancy configuration on HSM
4. Generally no concerns on running HSM and backup job at the same time, but should separate them when possible. HSM can be started/aborted with no harm
5. HSM is not as heavy as backup jobs, so it does not seem to impact server performance
5. Data age policy is adjusted based on factors such as primary disk saving and accessing time on HSM. Start from a higher aging policy (6 months, e.g.) and reduce until you get a good balance between the two.
6. Most organizations have different quota policy based on affiliation.

If anything that's incorrect or inaccurate in the summary, that's my fault and please feel free to post corrections!

Thanks to everyone again for your input. We are moving on to test and deploy HSM in our environment.

Xueshan

--

Xueshan Feng <sfeng@stanford.edu>
Technical Lead, IT Services, Stanford University