"zimbra-hied-admins" <zimbra-hied-admins@sfu.ca>

In my experience, it does exactly what it's supposed to do. Which is complicated, and subtle. I attempted to explain it locally thusly.

Zimbra 6.0.8, to which we updated [in September], sometimes adds a little "Forget" link, as in the picture below. Why?

Especially if you have "Automatically add addresses to Emailed Contacts" checked, which it is by default, you're going to have a lot of contacts, most of which you don't use most of the time. You might have hundreds of Johns in your various address books, but you probably want the most popular one, not the first one alphabetically, to show up on top. So Zimbra keeps track of your top 100 contacts, and uses that ranking table to sort results:

  1. Top 100 contacts that match what you've typed appear at the top of the results, sorted by a function of frequency and recency.
  2. Other items in your address books show up second, sorted alphabetically, starting with the first appearance of your search string. If you type "Jo", then "Lyndon Johnson" will come before "Jonas Salk" because H comes before N.
  3. Third come results from LDAP/Global Address List, with the weird globe-over-the-shoulder icon, sorted alphabetically, starting with the first appearance of your search string.

For example, I email Joel Cooper more often than my mom, so he wins when I start typing Co.

The little Forget link will remove the ranking table information for a given contact, so that they will only sort alphabetically (unless you send many more emails, in which case they'll show up in the ranking table again). It's a useful feature, necessary to get make old boyfriends disappear (for example). Unfortunately, it's not easily explained.

--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin