Re: Zimbra 6 to 8 upgrade path.

Hi Nathan,

This seems like the most straight forward approach. I've done similar migrations when upgrading RHEL versions or replacing hardware in the past. The only caveat I can see to your plan is installing Zimbra 6.x on RHEL 6. There doesn't seem to be a version of Zimbra 6.x for RHEL 6 available when looking at zimbra's download page. You may want to upgrade your existing environment to Zimbra 7 first since it supports both RHEL 5 & 6.

All of our main zimbra servers have been virtualized for quite a while without any issues. There is a decent guideline here if you're using VMware:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Performance_Recommendations_for_Virtualizing_Zimbra_with_VMware_vSphere

Somewhat related to your question, we are currently running a mixed environment of Ubuntu 10.04 and RHEL 6 servers. We're replacing the the RHEL servers due to licensing costs. Supposedly you can also perform an in place OS upgrade with Ubuntu and then "upgrade" to the same version of Zimbra. After I upgrade production to Zimbra 8 I plan to perform an OS upgrade in our test environment to see if this works. Something to think about since upgrading between major RHEL releases is not supported and you won't need to replace the hardware when virtualized.

HTH,
James